Ha Ha..what do you think?

Dekers

Air guns have never been licensed in the uk if under 12 foot pounds this rule did not even come in until 1968

Deershooter

Are you absolutely sure about that? Because if you're correct then following another little incident whereby I and a couple of mates 'handled' and fired one belonging to another mate we were all made to pay for the licence we didn't have and also purchase one in case we did it again (this was in 1958), I'm going to sue the Devon and Cornwall Constabulary for £1 - two lots of 10/-.

Are you absolutely sure about that? Because if you're correct then following another little incident whereby I and a couple of mates 'handled' and fired one belonging to another mate we were all made to pay for the licence we didn't have and also purchase one in case we did it again (this was in 1958), I'm going to sue the Devon and Cornwall Constabulary for £1 - two lots of 10/-.

Are you sure you weren't fishing and it was your mates rod :lol:

Are you sure you weren't fishing and it was your mates rod :lol:

:lol:

Had it not been for the fact that I live in Exmouth and you've definitely never needed a licence for sea angling, it may well have been judging by the oopsie involving the river Bain, the Lincolnshire Constabulary force helicopter and King Hussein of Jordon but we won't go there.

I certainly never bought one for my air rifles, in fact I only ever bought one shotgun one. I bought it when I was given my first shotgun, in '57 but the following year when I got round to buying another the Post Office didn't have any, never bothered again until we got those funny white ones from the police.

In all the years I should have had one I was never asked to produce it, not even when the local Bobby came round about my very first FAC application. My rifle was kept in my wardrobe, it had a little lock with a key which was good enough and shotguns were kept behind the kitchen door. No telescopic sights in those days but I got good enough to be able to hit the stems of mother's tulips in the garden from my bedroom window with a little pump Winchester !

In the summer I, like other boys, used to cycle to school with an air rifle and later a shotgun tied to the crossbar and pot the odd rabbit on the way home. In the winter if it had snowed and the lanes were still passable I used to go to school on the pony and shut it in a shed on the farm next to the school. Mother made me up a holster type thing to strap to the saddle to enable me to carry a gun but the old pony didn't much like the bang.

But now we have stricter laws and health and safety we can all sleep soundly in our beds !!!

but the following year when I got round to buying another the Post Office didn't have any, never bothered again until we got those funny white ones from the police.

Most, if not all, of this type of paper work came from Her majesty's Stationary Office. To rely on supplies run off by hand on the old press in the back of the Black Cat which may well have been at vastly reduced prices, but were hardly conducive to a regular supply. ;)

:lol:

Had it not been for the fact that I live in Exmouth and you've definitely never needed a licence for sea angling, it may well have been judging by the oopsie involving the river Bain, the Lincolnshire Constabulary force helicopter and King Hussein of Jordon but we won't go there.

Now that sounds worthy of its own thread !

ATB