Target shooting

Danoi99

I enjoy shooting clays and pigeons with my shotgun but I do miss target shooting. I used to shoot .22LR with the cadets..and 303, 7.62, 5.56 etc A brief spell in the army and all that.

I dont have any worthwhile knowledge about target shooting anymore, so i am sure that joining a local club would be my first move. ( Got that planned )

Was just wondering if it is gonna be an expensive sport to dabble in? I manage to shoot clays every other Sunday..........it costs just over 20 quid to shoot a round of clays with my dad. I cant really afford to get hooked into a sport that is gonna cost 100 quid per outing.....do you see where I am coming from?

Would be happy to start from the .22LR and work up from that.....not after a 50cal yet !!

So basically, is target shooting expensive ? Some helpful examples of the costs involved in your type of shooting is what I am after.

Thanks

i shoot prone and lsr targets, much cheaper than clays.

for me club membership is £50 a year.

range fee's £2 per night

.22 ammo for prone is £6.50 per 50 at club price which includes the clubs charge for the targets.

we normally shoot 2 cards on club night so it works out just over 2 boxes of ammo a month.

ammo for lsr is around £3.30 for 50, normally use 2 boxes a night.

target rifles are pretty cheap, paid £250 for my match 54, one of the local clubs was closing down and some of the members were giving up

so a few bargains to be had. you'll need to add a jacket, sling and glove for prone shooting as well.

lsr semi auto's can be bought from a couple of hundred pounds but for a nice one you're probably looking at around a grand.

My advice is try and stick with .22LR as ammo starts at £3 for 50 with decent stuff around the £6 mark (Eley Team).

I shoot mainly sporting and my main club fees are £136 per annum with no range fees - so I can shoot up to 6 times a week all year round.

An average session costs me about £6 which is 50 rounds and targets.

Although if I go semi auto then that is about £1 more as the ammo I shoot in that is £7 per 100 (cci mini mags)

ATB

My club is about £25 a year membership and £3.50 a night. I go about every other week. I dont bother shooting competition cards and just shoot for my own fun so it just depends on how I feel as to how much lead I lauch up to the butts. Most clubs have club guns,telescopes and jackets available for shooters to use when they start out until they decde to get a ticket and splash out on there own kit. Ammo can usually be bought on the range to be used there and a range offficial holds it on the club certificate. I have'nt got a clue about how much ammo is a box as I just buy a couple of thousand at a time and just use them up as I do without thinking this box has cost me X. Depends on what you buy as to the quality / cost Tenex = High, Club = lower cost.

Edited by fortune

I enjoy shooting clays and pigeons with my shotgun but I do miss target shooting. I used to shoot .22LR with the cadets..and 303, 7.62, 5.56 etc A brief spell in the army and all that.

I dont have any worthwhile knowledge about target shooting anymore, so i am sure that joining a local club would be my first move. ( Got that planned )

Was just wondering if it is gonna be an expensive sport to dabble in? I manage to shoot clays every other Sunday..........it costs just over 20 quid to shoot a round of clays with my dad. I cant really afford to get hooked into a sport that is gonna cost 100 quid per outing.....do you see where I am coming from?

Would be happy to start from the .22LR and work up from that.....not after a 50cal yet !!

So basically, is target shooting expensive ? Some helpful examples of the costs involved in your type of shooting is what I am after.

Thanks

Not so much at .22 club level locally (traveling and high level comp excepted as these things get costly). CF at a local Sunday morning type range need not cost the earth but at a bigger club things will rise if you want to be competitive. Over the years I have shot at local indoor ranges with fairly basic .22 for peanuts but at the same time spent vast sums traveling, testing and buying expensive gear for other disaplines

I'm a member of a local club where we shoot monthly from 100 to 400 yards. Its about £60 a year plus a £10 range fee on the day and then ammo. I usually shoot my heavy barrelled .222 which is an every-day vermin rifle with a S/H nightforce scope, so about a £1100 outfit. Its moderatly competitive. On informal club comps I can expect to come somewhere in the top third. The top guys will be shooting custom built .284s with 30" competition barrels with some very expensive glass. A couple have TRGs. With the best will in the world you're not going to compete against them with a hunting rifle, but lots of people have a go just for fun and there is still a hell of a lot of that to be had. One chap has a collection of WWII sniper rifles and he has a ball with those.

In terms of ammo costs, on club comp days I can expect to get through about 50 rounds. If I wanted to I could double that on informal days if there's a small turnout and we start playing with different targets. So you can get carried away and rattle through a few quids worth of ammo - and barrels if you do it regularly. I give myself an ammo allowance and take that much and no more.

The club has regular away-days to Bisley which is usually 600 to 1000 yards, so I can't shoot with my .222. If you do that regularly that's where its starts costing money. I could take my .308 stalking rifle, and people do, but I can't see the point of travelling all that way and blowing ammo down a 23" hunting barrel at 1K. I'm planning a custom rifle - probably a .260 - that will double as a small deer and vermin rifle and will allow me to compete to a similar level at 1000 yards as I currently do at 300 with the triple. Such a a rifle is going to start at about £2000 and travel upwards from there.

i'm hooked on target shooting.it can be as cheep or as exphensive as you like unless you want to compete then it allways going to get steep for scope etc.if you take it as far as center fire the reloading side can be rewarding.i think starting with a 22lr would be great fun and cheap.

I am a member of a local club where i shoot .22 prone at 25 yards, 50m and 100 yards, and although the yearly membership is a little more than some on here, at £90 a year, there is no range fees to pay each time you go, so it is just your ammo, at between £5-£8 per 50 for Eley club ammo, and any competitions you enter that charge an entry fee. We do local postal completions which are usually priced at around £7-£10 per season.