Some help needed

Browning GTS

Up untill now most of my shooting has been flight line, roost or corvids. I have just got permission over six fields of rape. The only thing is it is about 20 mile drive away. when i was being showed around today not a bird in sight. My question is when do you think the best time to go would be? eg crop growth, weather, this is to try to save to many wasted trips

Only go when there are birds eating the rape, this ain't happening in our area at the moment 'cos they're all still feeding in the woods.

They may not be on the rape until late Jan / early Feb, pick an overcast, windy day and always use a magnet, (2 if you've got them), best to recce the field the day before to find the favoured feeding spots.

Good luck,

Cat

you need hard cold days frost and snow to cover everything else up they eat

then they will hit the rape hard

they can be very hard to shoot in any numbers on rape when theres a few fields all together

if you are alowed take a mate and shoot from different hides thus keeping them on the move

as h says some flags may help

good luck kirky :yes:

Initially, I think you will just have to put the time in and observe the crops as often as possible to work out the flight lines and any feeding patterns.

As catamong said, the pigeons are not on the rape yet, but they will be.

Once you have built up a relationship with the Farmer/Landowner you can elicit their help.

When I have found constant recce trips difficult to fit in , I would ask the Landowner/Farmer to give me a telephone call, if he saw many pigeons about, to supplement my own visits.

Most will do this and it is very helpful.

You will get the occasional call, "the fields are blue with them" and when you turn up there won't be a bird in sight, this happens, pigeons are not always predictable.

you need hard cold days frost and snow to cover everything else up they eat

then they will hit the rape hard

they can be very hard to shoot in any numbers on rape when theres a few fields all together

if you are alowed take a mate and shoot from different hides thus keeping them on the move

as h says some flags may help

good luck kirky :yes:

Kirky,

We just don't get snow any longer in our part of the world, I do remember when we last had prolonged snow cover, (back in the 80's) :yes: , the birds simply wouldn't get up off the fields, gas guns wouldn't shift 'em, they were so hungry.

Cat

Thanks for the help lads. It looks like i might have to make the trip a few times in the coming weeks and hope for the best. A far as the frost and snow goes who knows we may get some down here, I was lucky to get this permission from the shoot captain of a local shoot i go beating on, its my second year there, i now know at least one other shoots over this ground so i will get in touch and work with him. i have another 600 acres to shoot on the same permission but it is all live stock on this ground. But i have had some good days on the blackies over this :lol:

Only go when there are birds eating the rape, this ain't happening in our area at the moment 'cos they're all still feeding in the woods.

They may not be on the rape until late Jan / early Feb, pick an overcast, windy day and always use a magnet, (2 if you've got them), best to recce the field the day before to find the favoured feeding spots.

Good luck,

Cat

always use a magnet

yes magnets are good in the right conditions, but they can also ruin a day for the shooter if placed incorrectly, i dont think u should just rely on this bit of kit

Up untill now most of my shooting has been flight line, roost or corvids. I have just got permission over six fields of rape. The only thing is it is about 20 mile drive away. when i was being showed around today not a bird in sight. My question is when do you think the best time to go would be? eg crop growth, weather, this is to try to save to many wasted trips

only 20 miles away? you lucky ******, i woudnt mind 6 fields of rape 20 miles away. in fact i,d quite happily come for a days shooting with you, and i live in east london. :/ :o :o

Good luck,

Cat

always use a magnet

yes magnets are good in the right conditions, but they can also ruin a day for the shooter if placed incorrectly, i dont think u should just rely on this bit of kit

Don't take my word for it, after all, what do I know about Pigeon shooting, I don't do it for a living..??

Ask the pro's, i.e. Jim Albone & Will Beasley if they would consider putting clients on a 1000 acre rape field in the middle of Winter with only static deeks & no magnets..??

Cat

Good luck,

Cat

always use a magnet

Don't take my word for it, after all, what do I know about Pigeon shooting, I don't do it for a living..??

Ask the pro's, i.e. Jim Albone & Will Beasley if they would consider putting clients on a 1000 acre rape field in the middle of Winter with only static deeks & no magnets..??

Cat

if you do a proper bit of reconasence then you could quite easily use static decoys in an area that large! how do you think people used to manage without magnets before they were invented. this is only my opinion, i just think some the kit has gone over the top

When the large fields of rape started being planted almost everywhere, most of us pigeon shooters became bird scarers.

Its no coincidence that the increased development of pigeon decoying equipment, came at about the same time.

I would agree that in every circumstance and area, the rotary device is not always the answer, but in my experience it draws more pigeons that it frightens away.

If I don't think its working, I bring it in, but I have rarely thought my shooting improved after doing this.

As I said, its all a matter of personal experience.