training dummies

Don't be a punter :lol: You can train a dog with bits of old junk £3 for plastic or canvass cheap dummies, £15 and upwards often a lot upwards for fancy ones. Few old dried- out wings, lump of wood and a wrap of old carpet and rabbit skin and I bet I know what the dog will prefer :yes:

You may know which the dogs prefer, but if you're training for water work (or memory or particularly marking), you would prefer a dummy that will both endure and bring on the dog's capabilities: the white ones of these, which whilst a tad pricey also can fit the bill over your way.

MG

We used to use the old plastic detergent bottles, part filled with sand for water. I admit to having various shop bought but they are far from necessary. Seems to do anything now you need all the kit of the latest brand.

My favourite water work dummies presently consist of a section of branch some bailer twine, pipe insulation and some cable ties. To this I attach a pair of duck wings hinged to flap about and cover the dogs vision (just like the real thing). Doing this means I don't get precious about them besides the littering aspect if they are lost to tide or current etc. I often have to shoot dummies down from trees when they get stuck with the rifle etc so I don't want £10-£20 hanging up there or drifting out to Sea

Can't argue with your industry - or your aim - there, kent, except to remind that Time = Money, and I want most of my time (and money) going into training the dog rather than my DIY skills. All down to personal preference. But you're going to pay probably 20 quid a bird on a shoot and possibly five times that for each duck you take whilst fowling. So here's the bargain - and trust me, it ain't Faustian:

100_3809_zpsd3be5216.jpg

a training partner's 12-week-old pup covering hard ground to get what it's marked sailing through the air at 100 yards away - and making a perfect retrieve (holding the "soft-mouth trainer") replete with return. Couldn't ask for anything more than that for my money...

MG

Edited by cracker

I agree with Kent, make your own up.

I have a couple of green bisley 1lb dummies that I occasionally cable tie wings to and all my others are made up of various skins (rabbit, duck, pheasant) wrapped around an old sock that has a plastic bag with a sponge and a piece of wood in it. Makes a great disposable floating dummy that doesn't cost anything but a small bit of effort. I quite enjoy the pratting about, it makes the wife think I'm really busy.

Edited by lee-kinsman