Shep Whites Wildfowling on the big tide this morning

ayano3

Well Brian (Croc) if it was you mate you enjoyed your 2 flights out but didn't get a shot this time. The real Brian was the luck/unlucky guy who won one of the guided days on the wash that I donated in the charity clay shoot. Last nights flight was not spectacular other than the immense tide that eventually flooded Boston (Lincs). The big creek we was on was almost topping at 5 15pm (tide was 7.30pm) and usually we wouldn't see any water that early. The NW gales had blown a lot of water into the wash and the 7.9m predicted was way over that. Possibly we had an extra 2-3m of water! We had one skein of about 30 pinks pass buy wide of us but shootable if we had been under them. Two crafty mallard come off the tide/mudflats for another friend of ours to have two shots without any success.

We arrived this morning at 5am (after 3 1/2 hours sleep) to find a couple of guns already heading off to Andersons Creek, we had a quick coffee and set off for our chosen spot. I tried to pick up a flight line from previous evenings but the geese must have moved really early and come off another part of the marsh. They possibly come in with the tide early and made their exit without notice. We did see a few duck but none presented a shot. The tide started to gradually fill Mallard Creek but it wasn't long before it started to rush in. The currents were very noticeable. Before long we had to move to a bit higher ground. Once the sun rose the temperature started to fall and frost set in. At this point in time the only bits of the marsh not covered was higher bank in front of the sea wall and a bit along Lawyers. The predicted tide was 7.6m but ebbed at around 8m. We stayed in hope of a shot at duck but decided it was time to head for breakfast.

I would like to add that the two guys (Brian28 & Shoot and be safe) both from the Crown Shoot have been very good people and a pleasure to introduce to Wildfowling on The Wash Estuary. I hope they have enjoyed their experience. If any of them wish to come again they are both more than welcome.

If the Charity Shoot is on again next year I will be sorting out another two days for PW members and may even have a go at a few clays too. :good:

I wish i could have got down thursday, i'd have loved to see that tide, if it makes 2/3m extra then i should think it'd have covered the rabbit bank as well, that'd be a sight to see.

I had the same problem with the geese last week, they just where not settling on a flight line. At least you saw some duck, i've seen about 6 in the last 5 flights :lol:

Lets hope the tides don't make big again this weekend, sunday morning was looking promising!

Well Brian (Croc) if it was you mate you enjoyed your 2 flights out but didn't get a shot this time. :good: :good: Thought I would/did :lol: The real Brian was the luck/unlucky guy who won one of the guided days on the wash that I donated in the charity clay shoot. Last nights flight was not spectacular other than the immense tide that eventually flooded Boston (Lincs). The big creek we was on was almost topping at 5 15pm (tide was 7.30pm) and usually we wouldn't see any water that early. The NW gales had blown a lot of water into the wash and the 7.9m predicted was way over that. Possibly we had an extra 2-3m of water! We had one skein of about 30 pinks pass buy wide of us but shootable if we had been under them. Two crafty mallard come off the tide/mudflats for another friend of ours to have two shots without any success.

We arrived this morning at 5am (after 3 1/2 hours sleep) to find a couple of guns already heading off to Andersons Creek, we had a quick coffee and set off for our chosen spot. I tried to pick up a flight line from previous evenings but the geese must have moved really early and come off another part of the marsh. They possibly come in with the tide early and made their exit without notice. We did see a few duck but none presented a shot. The tide started to gradually fill Mallard Creek but it wasn't long before it started to rush in. The currents were very noticeable. Before long we had to move to a bit higher ground. Once the sun rose the temperature started to fall and frost set in. At this point in time the only bits of the marsh not covered was higher bank in front of the sea wall and a bit along Lawyers. The predicted tide was 7.6m but ebbed at around 8m. We stayed in hope of a shot at duck but decided it was time to head for breakfast.

I would like to add that the two guys (Brian28 & Shoot and be safe) both from the Crown Shoot have been very good people and a pleasure to introduce to Wildfowling on The Wash Estuary. I hope they have enjoyed their experience. If any of them wish to come again they are both more than welcome.

If the Charity Shoot is on again next year I will be sorting out another two days for PW members and may even have a go at a few clays too. :good:

Great write up, good morning had by all, well done mate :good: and a finished off with a good fry up, :) and hopefully another 2 fowlers to the fold :good:

Great write up, good morning had by all, well done mate :good: and a finished off with a good fry up, :) and hopefully another 2 fowlers to the fold :good:

I am looking forward to another trip across when work will allow :good:

I had a great time with Graham the other week, both the shooting and the evening entertainments :whistling:

Graham, I hope your ready for the Crown Shoot next month

Have done some investigation work and discovered via my 'pickers up' network that there is a place called Pwll Gywn that's suitable to stay in, it sells beer I believe. I have been offered a very posh B & B for the dog (Rhia), evening meal for Carol and I on the Friday at the same place too.(What a wonderful offer) I still have to convince 'her who has to be obeyed' she will be very good at beating, but get that solved and I will be getting booked up.

You know its pretty much an open invite to join us here again. Next time you come keep an eye out for those Teal !

Maybe some of you guys/girls would like to come over and have a go at a few woodies at some point for your generous offers.

Edited by ayano3

But Rhia does donate you a goose if she finds them in a creek...as long as she can carry it back to the car

And i'm very grateful for that!

I probably forgot to tell you, but i was walking off friday morning last week, ended about 4 over on the 7 sisters, Josie went nose down in a creek so i took a look, one stone dead wigeon. Josie took it and carried it all the way back to the car park with her tail held high!

Edited by Big Mat

Have done some investigation work and discovered via my 'pickers up' network that there is a place called Pwll Gywn that's suitable to stay in, it sells beer I believe. I have been offered a very posh B & B for the dog (Rhia), evening meal for Carol and I on the Friday at the same place too.(What a wonderful offer) I still have to convince 'her who has to be obeyed' she will be very good at beating, but get that solved and I will be getting booked up.

You know its pretty much an open invite to join us here again. Next time you come keep an eye out for those Teal !

Maybe some of you guys/girls would like to come over and have a go at a few woodies at some point for your generous offers.

sorry you must have posted this whilst I was typing, we have a place I can enquire about for you to stay that's a little closer than the PG, they take dogs too, and I believe have a gun cabinet should you wish to store your gun there, a few of us stay on in the pub after the shoot for food, drink and banter

If I am correct this is very close to bigbird. I have never been there, so can't comment. I am sure it will serve your needs.

I was going to have a chat with a local farmer tonight, in the pub of course, to see if he had room in his barn for you, I have seen you eat :oops::lol: Carol could stay with Rhia, in the Holiday Cottage they also have. :good:

As for those Teal, YOU were my guide and supposed to be spotting for me :lookaround::lol:

In your defence they were lightening quick and even if I had spotted them in time, they would have been out of range by the time I lifted the gun :blush::lol:

Edit: I was typing as Paul added his post, I think we are on about the same place :good:

Also a very generous offer by you for a Crown Shoot outing. You might regret it, as you have only met two of us :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by shoot and be safe

sorry you must have posted this whilst I was typing, we have a place I can enquire about for you to stay that's a little closer than the PG, they take dogs too, and I believe have a gun cabinet should you wish to store your gun there, a few of us stay on in the pub after the shoot for food, drink and banter

Would be great if you could ask Paul, sounds ideal.

Mark, I have slept in far worse places ...... Lawyers Creek, Mallard Creek, Kenzies....and many more

Edited by ayano3

Well I never :rolleyes: it just crossed my mind I could have a beer or two on the 14th :whistling: