30" barrels

Ferretboy111

Im used to shooting a 28" barrelled gun, and have never shot a 30", and im buying a 30" pump.

Do you think im going to find it harder to shoot? From peoples rough experience with 30" barrels?

Just a quicky really.

#Cheers

:good:

Alex

Dont think it makes much difference, apart from the extra barrel weight obviously

I got a Lanber 28" and a Beretta 30", I use both from the hide and when out just for a stroll, I don't clay shoot or wildfowl.

What suits me is - if in the hide or walking and it's very windy and the gun needs to be moved fast (or for bolting rabbits) I pick the Lanber with cyl and 1/4 choke, if a less windy day I'll pick the Beretta with 1/4 and 3/4 and take longer shots.

The 30" barrel to me whether phsycological or not gives me confidence, I've stoned birds dead in the air at ranges I would not attempt with a 28" barrel.

If I were to buy another shotgun it would definetely be another 30".

The Beretta is heavier (about 8lbs), but I purposely wanted this to help combat recoil.

Im used to shooting a 28" barrelled gun, and have never shot a 30", and im buying a 30" pump.

Do you think im going to find it harder to shoot? From peoples rough experience with 30" barrels?

Just a quicky really.

#Cheers

:good:

Alex

Dont think it makes much difference, apart from the extra barrel weight obviously

then obviously there is a difference .

the main thing you will find is swing speed, having a longer gun is like having a longer stick

short stick quick swing long stick slower swing

you will find longer barrels give a smoother swing, a lot of guys like the smoother swing on longer targets, myself included, it takes out a lot of irratic swinging motion, dont think for a second you need differing gun lengths for all the different situations, you can be proficient in a numbe of disciplines shooting one gun, its confidence and skill that makes the shooter, i use a Browning ultra XS with 32" barrels on skeet with 98/99/100 % averages as well as in sporting layouts with major long targets, i run improoved mod chokes in both barrels and find they suit me well.

as to longer barrels throwing tighter patterns, not happening the choking of shot happens right at the last moment eg in the last 2" or so inches that determins the pattern.

the longer barrel is know for a better sight picture also, how i dont know i dont look at the barrel :P

try a few out you may find you dont like the feel of the longer tubes, its all about you in the end, most of the autos and pumps have a completly different feel to an O/U or S/S, try them all if you get the chance, expand your knowledge and experience.

good luck B)

Martin

bare in mind that a 30" semi or pump will be more like a 32" because of the space the action takes up. This puts the barrels further forwards. However its a single barrel, so less weight, it should make up for the extra length.

Deffo on what Nick has said. Most of my guns are 28" including the beretta 3.5 extrema.

The difference in the o/u & sbs is les than 1- 2" between them all, (stock size differences between my guns, the missus guns and the kids guns), BUT the AUTO is 8" bigger than by sbs. It barley fits into the cab and has to be put in on a angle to get thru the door.

So beware and check the overall size against your normal gun.