BSA Lightning XL GRT

rusty50

Used my GRT .22 as a culling aid on unwanted cockerels as catching them proved impossible and not wanting to stress out the 34 hens to much. Thus leaving a handsome bantam cockerel to be the lucky hen shaggier of large and small fowl . i must say the GRT was mighty fine at dispatching the chosen few as its only a target gun during summer evenings normally. cooked the breasts for supper very tough so dog got lucky.

post-21610-0-22913600-1386529621_thumb.jpg

WOW!!!! :w00t:

An accurate Lightning, that's a rarity!

Don't forget to wipe the fingerprints off the barrel and the blood and feathers off the stock.

You DID club them to death didn't you? :whistling::lol:

:lol: Guess you've not used one then Timmy. I think you would be quite shocked as to how good they are. I was. :yes:

:lol: Guess you've not used one then Timmy. I think you would be quite shocked as to how good they are. I was. :yes:

I admit I haven't tried one of the new ones, I tried a newish one about 3 years ago and put it somewhere between a B2 and a Relum Tornado with a bent barrel. I hope for the sake of BSA that they have got things right, otherwise the name will disappear.

All guns have followers and haters Ive had a hw100 that was a nice gun sold it for two GRTs for targets with family and friends pleased with that and BSA R10 FAC.22 and i don't get wrapped up with the doubters any more

The R10 FAC is said to Match theHW FAC or better it. Ive paid the money made the chose . Had different shot guns but settled on Browning XS after selling others, like wise.

:good::sad1:

All guns have followers and haters Ive had a hw100 that was a nice gun sold it for two GRTs for targets with family and friends pleased with that and BSA R10 FAC.22 and i don't get wrapped up with the doubters any more

The R10 FAC is said to Match theHW FAC or better it. Ive paid the money made the chose . Had different shot guns but settled on Browning XS after selling others, like wise.

Very true, but a bad experience with one make or model can put you off big time, look through the posts and see how many people have had duff guns, not just from BSA but also Daystate, Theoben, Air Arms and the rest. The difference is often down to the response from the manufacturer in putting things right.

Very true, but a bad experience with one make or model can put you off big time, look through the posts and see how many people have had duff guns, not just from BSA but also Daystate, Theoben, Air Arms and the rest. The difference is often down to the response from the manufacturer in putting things right.

Totally agree Timmy :yes: My first air rifle, 45 years ago was a .22 BSA meteor. I absolutely loved it. I had no knowledge of loopy trajectorys and muzzle velocity. I just knew what I could do with it. I guess it was only pushing out 6ftlbs, but it accounted for so much quarry. A mate of mine sold his pcp and was after a smallish springer. The local gunsmith had a GRT in and he threw it at me and asked what I thought. I was very impressed so suggested it to my mate as a possible. He bought it and is thrilled with it, We had a plinking session last time I was there.....seriously good rifle. :yes:

I had a very early lightning.

When I stripped it down it turned out that BSA had just taken a standard superport put an 8 inch barrel a vortex silencer on it.

To keep the power down they put a short spring in and loads of washers.

Not the most accurate rifle but was dandy in the hedges and round the barns.

Have been told the new ones are much better :)

How did the R10 do on sat night mate? did you get on okay with the NS200? I must admit I was very nervous about getting a BSA after all the nay-sayers, but I'm so glad I did. I had a choice of a Hw100, a Daystate Huntsman or the R10. The BSA felt instantly right at the shoulder, and shoots brilliantly. BSA seem to be produce two types of gun: the brilliant one, and the terrible one. sounds like you and I have the brilliant one!

I agree that the world has its critics and you can research for meny a hour but with all the high tec machining and so on if a product is truly poor the company will vanish just as the high street shops are now but were good not poor but inter net shopping is taking over. i do be leave that for one poor result on a product there must be 100 good as we all like a bloody good moan now and then. I was a true be leaver in my VW T5s but in reality they cost me more to run than the citron relay i have swopped it i for just not the In brand.

Rant over Happy days are coming will be shooting next week air targets got some air flash 40s then Sporting Clay s 50 round lost today better luck next sunday and beating saturday .

Hi Chris Went out with the NS200 very pleased with vision but rabbits left field saw 11 scampered off next time will leave pop up hide in field for the day/night then use it.

just ordered a tripod on ebay to feel more rested. I do like the R10 Fac .22 and also have lots of places to go but its all down to time. In one field i have a scaffold tower at 20 feet with rabbits to shoot down on so my son wants to go thursday evening with me weather permitting don't want to get it wet. four can stand or sit on the platform

Used my GRT .22 as a culling aid on unwanted cockerels as catching them proved impossible and not wanting to stress out the 34 hens to much. Thus leaving a handsome bantam cockerel to be the lucky hen shaggier of large and small fowl . i must say the GRT was mighty fine at dispatching the chosen few as its only a target gun during summer evenings normally. cooked the breasts for supper very tough so dog got lucky.

Win for the dog then

Hi Chris Went out with the NS200 very pleased with vision but rabbits left field saw 11 scampered off next time will leave pop up hide in field for the day/night then use it.

just ordered a tripod on ebay to feel more rested. I do like the R10 Fac .22 and also have lots of places to go but its all down to time. In one field i have a scaffold tower at 20 feet with rabbits to shoot down on so my son wants to go thursday evening with me weather permitting don't want to get it wet. four can stand or sit on the platform

That sounds like a good trip on thursday, IF the weather is kind...looks set fair though. I've done a bit of high hide work for pigeons over decoys, but not for rabbits. hope it's more profitable that sat! In retrospect I should have ditched the football and gone shooting - Reading lost 2-0 at home and played useless football. No idea why I put myself through it sometimes!

Edited by chrisjpainter

We have a lightning XL here, I reduced to spring and polished the life out of the internals. It shoots OK now but it needs a very gentle hold. In balance it wouldn't have been worth the time other than it is so much lighter and better handling than most break action full power springers and my daughter uses it. I also had one of the first lightnings made that shot ok out of the box, I suspect they added the more costly moderator and stock to the XL and reduced internal finishing / internal production costs.

I strongly suspect it might shoot really well in .25 cal if I could get a cheap barrel being just that touch less jumpy than the .22 we have, .177 is said to be very lively in the firing cycle but never tried one.

Hi I think my gun would do better if degreased and lightly oiled as I've not done that yet.

are break barrels best for sub 20 yards for consistantsy

Consistency (shot to shot variation in speed) quality spring guns are more consistent from 1st shot to last than a regulated PCP ( my Lazerglide will only vary 4 fps from cold through a 30 shot string). Accuracy depends on the user PCP are easier to shoot well but as far as actually accuracy there is no difference.

Despite what many claim if you want as close to 100% single shot clean kills 35 yds is as far as a skilled shooter can actually achieve this 100% of the time remember 100%. Fine range a shot in perfect conditions and further can be done but one should always consider this sort of range as the max achievable or a fluke and work towards getting that close or closer still. The actual range you personally can do can be discovered by a companion placing end on 12ga shells (empty) out at roughly 5 paces apart in an area you are unfamiliar. Now walk up to the first till you guess by looking you are 10yds away from the first and shoot just one shot at each standing, the first time you miss then that is too far! Check the range to the last one hit and there is your answer, practice will improve things.

Groups on paper, known ranges prove nothing as we don't get second chances in the field and can rarely faff around on stationary quarry at such distances ranging it

Failing the above try and shoot a GP ft course all targets reduced to 1" using hold under / over /off , if you get a clear your the next world champ- because I have never seen it done and that includes the very, very best there is

kent thank you for your timed response i agree on your views. i have a few long magnetic strips used for knifes /tools that i line up spent 12g cases and shoot them off more than paper sheets and yes 100 % isn't achieved but hitting them when with friends alternating puts the pressure on that give some what near to the real pressure to live shooting, due to banter etcif your **** your ****!!!