What shotgun?

Rst1990

You have to laugh at that! Only just seen this post or I would have replied sooner before you bought one. Would have told you not to bother with it!

I'm not sure if he was selling an older version of the gun but the new versions of the Bettinsoli are supposed to have better, tougher components than what they previously were made of. I bought a new Diamondline Deluxe about 7 years ago and in the first 3 years the sears went twice on them. Luckily while shooting clays. Only had a 1 year warranty on them then and they (RUAG the distributor) took it back free of charge after the warranty was expired for some time. Asked them to make sure the better components were put in them and have not had any problems since after a good few thousand cartridges.

Happy with it now and so used to it that I can't get rid of it but if you were shooting with it during a game day or the like, and it failed, I would have been raging and probably wish I had gone with a 'more reliable' Berretta. I have no experience with Berrettas but I don't get any complaints from the folk I know who do have them.

BTW I know 2 other guys who have had bettinsoli's and they went duff as well! Probably a good choice with the new gun!

Chris

In short no! If your new to shotgunning dont buy a Beretta first cos your gonna want to change

That is nonesense, but the right gun and you are set for life, if you can afford a brand new berretta why buy a lesser gun? Bettinsoli, lanber, baikal are all lesser.

That said a lightly used Browning or Miroku is a better investment

Edited by HDAV

I would go for the quality brands every time-travel around and try as many as you can and do not be put off by buying used-someone else has suffered the initial depreciation and not you-you should get a warranty from a dealer and your consumer rights are there as back up. The vast majority of decent guns will outlive you and your sprogs so buy the best you can-haggle hard and make a point of walking away if the dealer is not flexible-its your money and the ball is in your court. If several dealers have the same gun in stock then leave your offer with them all-let them call you if they want the sale. Do not be put off if you buy a gun that you want but have not seen from a dealer the other end of the country-distance selling regs give you 7 days to cancel the sale and return the gun for ANY reason-you will only pay return postage. If you can afford a new Berretta, Browning (better quality IMO) e.t.c. then get one but if funds are tight I strongly advise you to get a used quality gun over a new "budget" brand. Take your time :good:

Edited by bruno22rf

Iff new to shooting you would be mad to pay for new more expensive makes you need to try different types get more knowledge then decide enjoy whatever you have atb

I'm not new to shooting, but why would you be mad to buy a new more expensive gun?

I tried a different type, look where it got me... No gun over Xmas :-(

The knowledge I received from this is to never buy bettinsoli's cheaper range.

I'm new to owning my first gun and can understand that these things happen and I'm fortunate enough to be able to still go to shoots with my friend, but if this was someone else this may have disheartened their whole world of shooting IMHO

Atb

Iff new to shooting you would be mad to pay for new more expensive makes you need to try different types get more knowledge then decide enjoy whatever you have atb

Why? If it fits you then you can shoot with it if you decide to sell it you'll get more back/sell it quicker if its a well known in demand make, there seem to be far more people who regret selling a gun than buying one...... Particularly miroku, people get caught up in mind games. I say buy wisely, good quality the 525 I bought 3 years ago is a better gun than I am shot, will sell tomorrow for what I paid and has been faultless, I'm looking to buy another gun for trap (just because I want to) but being MC 3" steel proof, and fitting me I won't sell the 525, it will do everything from 100 clays to a driven day, and everything inbetween!

I looked at 2nd hand and found many to be more than they were new. If you buy popular models browning / beretta you will get your money back. I bought the pigeon and learnt a few lessons about drying it properly and oiling the stock. Whilst it's a well engineered and beautiful it's not my favourite. My £350 quid hatsan is for me far more satisfying but I can't take it to the game shoot :(

Everything being equal fit particularly important I think a clean used miroku is the best vfm clay gun, £1000 gets an mk38 that will still be going strong long after I am gone.... For a general clay and game gun older berretta 686 or browning 425/525 go for MC 3" chambers steel proof and there isn't a bird you can't bring down if you do your bit, again £800-1000 for a tidy clean one. I don't understand how beretta can keep increasing the prices and seemingly lowering quality poor finish on wood work lots of niggles with 692's being reported etc. if budget is more limited say 5-700 then its tricky as this what bettinsoli/lanber/W&S/Lincoln were aiming at new gun with warranty 7-900 where a 686/687 B525/MK38/70 was pushing £13-1500 new.

The Winchester select is a slightly cheaper option but still more than a used 525/686 etc

I'm not a fan of semis but they are popular new SX3 is £750 ish

When I started looking for a gun my budget was £500 I was fortunate to inherit a SxS which I started shooting with, I'll never sell it but rarely gets an outing these days. I kept looking and trying, finally got some great advice from a gunsmith which I followed. I bought a 30" 525 sporter for just under £1000 (double my initial budget) which I still have and shoot its cost me £0 in maintenance, I had a recoil fitted and that's that, eventually the bottom pin will go £50 max it will sell for what I paid for it at least

The advice has stood me well the last few years and its only my recent experience of shooting more trap that has got me thinking about buying a trap gun.....

Edited by HDAV