NORTHERN IRELAND?

dazza

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a scroll through them this morn, who got the short straw to shoot with the camera instead of the gun :lol:

Yes the birds **** off quite quickly and there has not been any cold weather to bring the Scottish birds over yet they are usually here in good numbers by now.

I hav'nt had much of a chance to get out as I have just moved house plus im trying to train my lab pup at the mo. Im hoping to get out over xmas for a shot.

The new by-pass is dead on it keeps you foreigners out :lol::lol:

Who do you know that goes Salmon fishin as me and the mates do a fair amount of that, chances are I know them, also Sea Trout in Strangford, Comber record 8.5lbs not me unfortunately.

Oh my head hurts, there was some amount of fish caught and birds shot in the pub last night. :lol:

hi jonny the guy called peartree his real name is cecil and davys brother lives in ballygowan and could talk for ireland . i had a bad year aswell , i only caught 4 and lost a few too. as for ba he got one i had to take him to the river and show him were to catch it or he would of blanked last season. i am still waiting on the drink though :lol::lol::lol:

The weather didn't really help with the fishing this year **** all water. I lost a good springer in April on the fly on east mayo waters and that was it. I was movin house this year and didn't get out fishin that much. I did have more luck pigeon shooting though. From what Davy told me the last time I spoke to him he and Peartree had a good year fishin but then they go every weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Reading your posts. Good to see there is other shooters from NI on the Net. I live in Down come from Tyrone. Doing a lot of shooting at the moment though of to the Lennan tomorrow for the first days salmon fishing this season.

I am looking someone to shoot pigeons over decoys with this year as i have no experience of that as yet. I should have no problem getting lsome land.

I am new to this forum business but looks good and hope to keep in touch.

Good shooting

Cakie

Welcome Cakie174

Where are ya going on the Lennon or is it a secret ha ha. Let us know how you get on.

What type of shooting do you do at the moment.

Are there any pigeons in your area at the moment as there is nothing worth talkin about around Comber,Newtownards and I would expect the rest of Down but its a big County.

Colin and BA have you's had any success or anyone else from N.I.

hi dazza we shot 16 pigeons on turnips on boxing day but thats about it for now ..we found a feild of sheep feed rape but the womwn who owns the land wouldnt let us shoot it .. there were about 400 birds on it and to make it worse the farmer who rents the land of her wanted the birds shot of it. might go out for a walk this week instead of decoying try for snipe or woodcock ect . hi cakie good to see another shooter from here where u live mate . i live in bangor and me mate ba lives in dundonald .we do a lot of trout and salmon fishing at the drowes moy glen and other spots to .

Hi Guys

thanks for your welcome. Spent yesterday on the River Lennan on Watts Pool which was good but we drew a blank. There was a horrible south easterly gale blowing all day which didn't help presenting flies. Saw a few springers though not much moving. They have had good numbers on the pool to date this year and a lot of fish lost also. I hoping to get a trip to the Drowse in Febuary or the Blackwater in Fermoy. Have you heard of the FREE offer of fishing down there for Feb.

I have had some great shooting recently. 28 pigeons at Christmas (mainly from roosting in barns and flushed). We got 8 foxes on an estate on sunday were we plan to put birds down next season. I live in Hillsborough but come from Cookstown area and thats were i do most of my shooting. I fish Mourne, strule and the Finn and am a member of teh Iveagh Fishing club on the Lagan.

I am looking to learn decoying for pigeons in the spring. Colin whats the Moy Glen like? not fished it yet

keep it safe

Cakie

I haven't fished the glen river much but can answer a bit about the moy,drowes

These two rivers can be v.good especially for Springer's but it takes you to know a little bit about them maybe not so much the drowes but the moy is a bloody big river with a lot of different club waters and private beats. Most people have there favourite stretches and also there own 'secret places'. The upper reaches from foxford area and upstream fish best for the Springer's and grilse up until July I find anyway and then from foxford to ballina from July on to the end of the season

The Drowes fishes all year and you could catch a Springer anywhere as it is a short river that flows out of Lough Melvin (4.5) mile's long. The sea pools are probably your best chance at the moment if you don't mind an audience and if the fishin is **** there is a bar nearby.

I'll not be out untill end of March probably as its a long way for naf all. You know what its like at this time of year.

There is web sites for both just Google the names.