Grids on tray feeders, barbed wire around the legs. Next season going to tray feeder sized triangular enclosures with rails rather than wire as some people report roe antlers getting entangled in wire. I can see this as a cure against deer but not badgers.

Blackpowder

You could try building a fenced in area around the feeders but use standard pig netting/stock netting around it and put a couple of fox grids in the netting. Using the netting upside down so the smaller mesh is on the bottom may help keep the badgers out. I wouldn't net the enclosures until the birds are on the feeders, maybe a week then net them off. I know it's a long winded process and depending on how many feeders you have may be more hassle than its worth

Edited by r1steele

I cant remember which one but I remember watching a Fieldsports TV video where the keeper was making partridge feeding stations on grazing land. He was creating a small enclosure using pallets and removing every second slat to allow the birds into the feeder.

Maybe something along those lines might work for you?

Col

You could try building a fenced in area around the feeders but use standard pig netting/stock netting around it and put a couple of fox grids in the netting. Using the netting upside down so the smaller mesh is on the bottom may help keep the badgers out. I wouldn't net the enclosures until the birds are on the feeders, maybe a week then net them off. I know it's a long winded process and depending on how many feeders you have may be more hassle than its worth

But that is the correct way to put it up !

We have to fence every hopper for deer, they are the bain off my life. U have no idea how many hopppers u actually hve until u try to fence them all :whistling:

Tried all sorts in the past to try and avoid fencing them but nothing worked

Even fencing with net can be hard (possibly depending wot type of deer ur keeping out) really hard to get the net pulled tight enough without the posts giving, if not tight the deer (fallow atleast) just push it and batter the hopper till feed falls on ground.

Tried wringht feeders and another similar 1 with slits and deer just battered the hoppers and wheat came out.

We now use pallets, only take 1 board off the bottom to let birds in, i now take a few off the top above the base of the hopper to let a bit more light in which seems to help, when we first started using pallets we were taking too many boards off and deer could get there head to the spring under if they were on there knees

Is a hell off a work when u start doing this and takes a hell of a pallets. ur talking 100 pallets for 25-30 hoppers, take a bit of gathering up.

Heard of a wee shoot nearish to us that has more of a problem with badgers and he has his hoppers on top of pallets, say 3/4 high and a bit of ply with hopper on top, birds jump up to feed as normal but badgers don't, seems to work for them

But that is the correct way to put it up !

Sorry my mistake, when I use it which isn't often I put it large side down as it's not for stock proofing as such but usually where I'm feeding pheasants so as to allow easier access for them to get in and out. Got myself a little mixed up.