looking for a rifle combo few questions if you don't mind

elefantman

Evening.

Done my intro in the newbie bit.. Now onto the stupid questions.

I'm after a rifle suitable for both target and vermin use... My past rifle was a .22 Fenman which I loved and was perfect for hunting but a bit rough and ready for the target side.

So.. I've got a budget of up to 300 quid.. What rifles are worth looking at? And should I be fussy about calibre? I've always favoured the slight heavier 22 for knockdown but is that really the case?

Anyway any thoughts and guidance greatfully received.. Cheers Jim.

If its for target and vermin I would go .177 as .22 puts you at a major disadvantage on things like HFT and both calibres produce clean kills if you do your job properly. For the budget you are looking at you would struggle to get a PCP and charging gear even second hand so I would look to decent springer.

A HW95 or HW80 springs to mind as good for both target and vermin. If you fancy another gas ram you would probably be able to pickup a second hand Theroben for that sort of money though they are becoming rarer. I would say a HW97K or AATX200 but from my view they are a bit weighty for lumping about hunting any distance though if you can handle the weight they would be my choice every time.

Edited by Zetter

Tx all the way, if you can handle the heft hunting. Calibre matters if you are the only one in your class and end up being compared with .177 shooters, after using .177, .20 and .22 hunting I shouldn't buy another .177, liked the .20 but no great gain and .22 kills as good as anything and better than most up to 35yds without loopy even coming into it.

Think of the TX internals as a custom built sleeved and buttoned gun, because that's what it is in all fairness. Awkward thing to load till you get into it though

Thanks for the thoughts guys... Still not sure about the 177 against 22. My hunting always used to be dependant on stelth and getting as close as possible to the target, Although I could (and still can) group shots within an inch at 30+ yards (once I was used to a rifle) I was never really that comfortable taking shots at live prey much over 25ish as my worst fear is not getting a clean kill... I know it can happen and I have dealt witha few but it makes me feel bad each time as although I have no issue with killing (and with pidgeons/rabbits eating) I dont like to see anything suffer.

As for the target side its always more for fun than competition and I've never taken it too seriously.. just like I've done with pre 65 trials and landy trials it's just an excuse to get together with like minded people and enjoy the sport.. Hence I am leaning towards the .22 still.

The AA Tx200's and HW's have both been suggested as good possibilities to what I need from a rifle so I'll try and find a dealer locally with one I can handle and see how they feel.

I did come accross a BSA ultra tactical multishot (pre charged 177) locally just within my price range but I'm not sure how much extra I'd have to budget for the charging bottle etc... So although I may be able to stretch the budget a bit (dont tell the missus) I doubt I could fit it all in.

Anyway.. many thanks for the thoughts so far.. any other suggestions more than welcome.

I got a top quality secondhand thumbhole stocked .177 Air Arms s400 carbine pcp complete with good scope, 3 litre 300bar bottle, camo suit and Deben bipod for £420 this year, I didn't like to beat him down to £400 for it as I already thought it a fair deal. If you could stretch your £300, there are some bargains crop up from time to time. I really enjoyed good success with a cheap tuned B20 .22 springer in the field in 2011-12 but have had exceptional results this year with the 400, I won't go back to my .22 springer as my main hunting gun and caliber now, but still enjoy the odd 'out to 25 yard' batch up and wait session with it.

My mate has an AA TX200 and it is a heavy lump but is consistantly very accurate, an HW95 is a copy of the chinese SMK XS20 or my B20 (.. :)..) and having no underlever to cock, is a little lighter but still accurate out to sensible ranges....... :good:

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all..

Well I've gone down the 177 route... Not so much down to a serious decision but mainly due to the fact that a very nice air arms tx200 came up for 200 complete with scope/bag etc which i thought was a good price.

I've also hit it lucky with some shooting permissions so I'm all set... But I think a few hours with some targets is required first before I start tackling the bunnies.

Thanks again for the advice/thoughts.. Really appreciate the input and to hear the views of those more experienced than myself.

Cheers Jim.

Edited by elefantman

Was just about to post a suggestion but a couple of minutes (and generally it seems) too late now.

Congrats on TX, if I re-thought my last purchase I think I would go .177 for the better trajectory.

How did you find the permissions?

Edited by slipp3ry