Toyota Hilux

wickedandlazee

We run a pair of Hi-Lux pickups on the farm, one is a T reg, the other a W. Neither are the king cab variant.

We find them tough as old boots to be honest and very little goes wrong with them. With decent tyres they are also excellent of road and will go most places.

Parts can be a little pricy but we use non franchised garage to service them so that keeps costs down. They are not that bad on fuel, both diesel, but it is hard to gauge as they work off road so much of the time. I have driven one to Sussex and back from Devon and it was not too uncomfortable, certainly quieter than a landy of the same vintage.

Early variants had non turbo engines that can seem a little lack lustre.

The only major problems have been with the gear box on the older one, does not like coming out of four wheel driven if been working hard for more than 15 minutes.

All in all a great work horse though and best pickups we have had for some time.

Have a look at a look at Brightwells site for an idea of prices, they do a dedicated 4X4 auction most weeks:

http://www.brightwells.com/vehicles/4x4/Ca...00/Default.aspx

They have an 02 double cab coming up next week, might give you an idea on prices.

Jerry

We run a pair of Hi-Lux pickups on the farm, one is a T reg, the other a W. Neither are the king cab variant.

We find them tough as old boots to be honest and very little goes wrong with them. With decent tyres they are also excellent of road and will go most places.

Parts can be a little pricy but we use non franchised garage to service them so that keeps costs down. They are not that bad on fuel, both diesel, but it is hard to gauge as they work off road so much of the time. I have driven one to Sussex and back from Devon and it was not too uncomfortable, certainly quieter than a landy of the same vintage.

Early variants had non turbo engines that can seem a little lack lustre.

The only major problems have been with the gear box on the older one, does not like coming out of four wheel driven if been working hard for more than 15 minutes.

All in all a great work horse though and best pickups we have had for some time.

Have a look at a look at Brightwells site for an idea of prices, they do a dedicated 4X4 auction most weeks:

http://www.brightwells.com/vehicles/4x4/Ca...00/Default.aspx

They have an 02 double cab coming up next week, might give you an idea on prices.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry for the advice most welcome and informative - will check the site out. Much appreciated ???

Had a test drive of a surf today - very nice indeed - hell of a lot of torque :angry:

Nice condition too - japanese import - no corrosion anywhere and a reasonable price too.

Gonna get it on the ramp and let you have a look sparkie m8 if thats OK ???

Quite a nice spec too - a/c electric windows & mirrors etc.

Bags of room too and more economical than my flaming omega and about same insurance too :angry:

Checked out things like tyres & spares and they're cheaper too so all round should be more economical than my current heap of **** :angry:

Model is the 3.0L diesel SSR-X 1996, only 83,000 on clock which ain't bad for that age

Gonna look at an M plate tomorrow with 66,000 on the clock.

Underneath was immaculate and like I say drove sweet as a nut even at speed, auto box was OK too kicked down fine etc so looking good as a distinct possibility.

Will keep ya posted :angry:

Had a look at a pajero too but prefer the hilux :lol:

I've got a Hilux pickup on a 1999 V plate, and I can't fault it. Took it for an MOT yesterday and it only failed on a numberplate bulb. It's done 102k miles and has never let me down. I've had the back full to the brim with wet clay and it still drove nicely - I've even pulled a couple of 40 foot dead sycamore trees down with using a rope! It's a bit thirsty though, that's the only downside - 25mpg at best.

surfs are imports,ours was a 2.4 td......as i said a bit thirsty,i managed aroung 20 mpg,but then again i have a heavy right foot.

the wife loved it and the only reason its now gone is that we had no more use for it.shame realy as she now drives a honda.

Had a test drive of a surf today - very nice indeed - hell of a lot of torque :P

Nice condition too - japanese import - no corrosion anywhere and a reasonable price too.

Gonna get it on the ramp and let you have a look sparkie m8 if thats OK :lol:

Quite a nice spec too - a/c electric windows & mirrors etc.

Bags of room too and more economical than my flaming omega and about same insurance too :good:

Checked out things like tyres & spares and they're cheaper too so all round should be more economical than my current heap of **** :lol:

Model is the 3.0L diesel SSR-X 1996, only 83,000 on clock which ain't bad for that age

Gonna look at an M plate tomorrow with 66,000 on the clock.

Underneath was immaculate and like I say drove sweet as a nut even at speed, auto box was OK too kicked down fine etc so looking good as a distinct possibility.

Will keep ya posted :lol:

Had a look at a pajero too but prefer the hilux :no:

more importantly, did you take the double mattress along to see if it fits?

:lol::lol: :( :lol::lol:

The M plate was a heap of **** resprayed and all sorts so went back to the one i saw before.

Went along took it for a test drive again - and also checked it was roomy enough Darebear :no::angry:

Now got a deposit on it and it should be with me in about a couple of weeks once they've cleaned it and got the paperwork sorted as all surfs are imported from Japan. Its in great nick as you'd expect from over there - absolutley no rust at all and only 83,000 on the clock which is ****** all for a 96 plate 3.0TD engine.

Here's some piccies - and don't say anything about hairdressers car as this seems to be the in joke if its not a 1980's pickup full of arabs :good::oops:

car1.jpg

car2.jpg

Can't wait now to give it a go and load it up with shooting gear :lol::lol::lol:

• 4 weeks later...
The M plate was a heap of **** resprayed and all sorts so went back to the one i saw before.

Went along took it for a test drive again - and also checked it was roomy enough Darebear :good::good:

Now got a deposit on it and it should be with me in about a couple of weeks once they've cleaned it and got the paperwork sorted as all surfs are imported from Japan. Its in great nick as you'd expect from over there - absolutley no rust at all and only 83,000 on the clock which is ****** all for a 96 plate 3.0TD engine.

Here's some piccies - and don't say anything about hairdressers car as this seems to be the in joke if its not a 1980's pickup full of arabs :/:good:

car1.jpg

car2.jpg

Can't wait now to give it a go and load it up with shooting gear :yes: :yp: :lol:

Did you need a tow off that grass :good:

Last hilux i was in i had to get out and walk up the hill, and that i kid you not. it was pulling the beaters wagon and couldn't get up the hill, still thats not what your using it for so there should be no problem. Hope you enjoy the ride, and the driving :lol:

Did you get the Surf in the end?

I have a 3.0TD 4runner (same truck but UK spec so less gizmos)

great vehicle on and off-road, and loves getting muddy on the farms when out shooting,

one thing i havent tried yet is snipering out the boot yet, but have shot from drivers seat

Yeah got it last Friday and went lamping in it - makes life a lot easier being able to get down some of the farm tracks

Next step is to snipe out of the back window too :good::/:good: