The Queen's speech

welsh1

No they are not. We do not have any single sense of a "constitution" , at least not in the sense typically understood ie American. We have, at best, a loose affiliation of documents, laws and custom. The Monarchy is a best titular. They are an anachronism and unnecessary in a modern world. Believe if you wish. I also have fairies a the bottom of my garden, a bloke in a red suit brought my chrissy pressies and my kids were dropped off by a stork.

And america has had its constitution for how long?

Britain has been an evolving constitutianal democracy longer than most in the world,believe what you like but the monarchy is intertwined with all the democratic process this country has gone through.

If you cannot accept history then it is yourself who is living in la la land.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't talk to me about history. This is getting silly. Logic has gone out the window here. There is no need for Royalty. It is outdated and outmoded. You might as well continue to cling onto Empire. Or perhaps you are? Most Monarchists tend to! We are a small island with a decreasing influence in the world. We need to concentrate on what matters if we are to maintain a sustainable standard of living. And that does not need to include that lot. Our system of government is far from perfect - we all know that. But Monarchy is not the answer. Anyway, I am off now as this is going nowhere fast. Been fun though. Hopefully no feelings hurt. Cheers.

I am not a Royalist. Having said that I firmly believe in Democracy and peoples right to choose..... So can I suggest that all royalists pay say £300 pounds each per year into a fund to provide their future health and wealth. Collected maybe through council rates. ...For those non Royalists nothing.

Survey carried out at Airports a couple of years ago asking tourists if they had come specifically to see the Royals only 0.3% said they had.

Paris without the Royal family attracts as many overseas visitors.

Very, very few people go anywhere to see one thing specifically. How many people go to Paris specifically to see the Eiffel Tower? Very few, I suspect, but it doesn't mean it's an argument for Paris not to have it.

J.

Bunch of German/Greek inbreds. Just look at the kids. Every advantage in life and all as thick as bricks. Wish they would all ****** off and leave us be. Don't understand why people feel the need to scrape and grovel. I will not bow to anyone.

More bitter, twisted and envious bile. This is not much more than a bunch of random offensive words. It's also untrue and clearly so - unless, of course, you think that the British armed forces allow people who are 'thick as a brick' to fly rather expensive attack helicopters. Takes a reasonable IQ to be able to do that sort of stuf, you know.

J.

No they are not. We do not have any single sense of a "constitution" , at least not in the sense typically understood ie American. We have, at best, a loose affiliation of documents, laws and custom. The Monarchy is a best titular. They are an anachronism and unnecessary in a modern world. Believe if you wish. I also have fairies a the bottom of my garden, a bloke in a red suit brought my chrissy pressies and my kids were dropped off by a stork.

I think you really need to do some serious reading up on the British constitution before you post much more on this subject mate.

J.

My problem is not so much with having a King/Queen but you then get all of the hangers on prince this and princes that as if that was not enough we then get in to the lords and ladies that the breeds the other lord and ladies that are appointed by the government.

we are then expected to look up to them and call them sir or lady when all that most of them did was to do the job that they was well paid to do in the first place as fare as I am concerned I am English I was born here as was my parents and there parents I look up to people who can do things better than I can but I have nether need or use for a figurehead to look up to.

That's all very well but kiss goodbye to the Monarchy and its hierarchy of titular noblemen and you kiss good bye to country sports...so I would be tempted to put her back on the Christmas card list..

Being a royalist requires the same mind-set and blinkered view of life as a religious fundamentalist, we are all entitled to our view unless you disagree with them of course.

And being someone who believes that the system we have should be abolished, even though it has worked in one form or another for 100's and 100's of years, without putting forward a valid alternative that will be better is a poor argument, in fact it is no argument at all.

And your point about religion and monarchy is not even comparable, one requires a belief,the other is there to see,to compare the two is not an argument at all

A system that has no purpose whatsoever other than to be a drain on the coffers and make the rich richer?

A system that removes major dissenters or those that put the succession at risk quicker than you can say 'Paladin'?

Check 'Brookie' on Freeview 173, she should be queen, ooh

Very, very few people go anywhere to see one thing specifically. How many people go to Paris specifically to see the Eiffel Tower? Very few, I suspect, but it doesn't mean it's an argument for Paris not to have it.

J.

I did and I suspect Millions more .... What a lot of people don't know is that the rivets holding the structure up are British made.

The Russians had the right solution

Yep and look at them now..

Bunch of German/Greek inbreds. Just look at the kids. Every advantage in life and all as thick as bricks. Wish they would all ****** off and leave us be. Don't understand why people feel the need to scrape and grovel. I will not bow to anyone.

That's because there's no one below your intellectual level to bow to..