VCI gun sock advice

Maldred4

I got a Browning VCI one piece gun sock for Christmas and I'm looking for a little advice on using it.

I sometimes can't use my shotgun for a couple of weeks so I normally give it a good clean and the put it in its slip and then that into the cabinet and had no issues so far. I have a VP90 patch in the cabinet anyway but I wonder if the gun sock is the better way to store my shotgun rather than in the slip.

My cabinet is in my basement which is heated by a couple of good oil filled radiators, never suffered from rust damage from damp but would a gun sock help increase prevention? Also does the VCI chemicals damage wood if used long term?

Any advice greatly appreciated and I'll search the forums as well for answers.

Cheers

Maldred4

I got a Browning VCI one piece gun sock for Christmas and I'm looking for a little advice on using it.

I sometimes can't use my shotgun for a couple of weeks so I normally give it a good clean and the put it in its slip and then that into the cabinet and had no issues so far. I have a VP90 patch in the cabinet anyway but I wonder if the gun sock is the better way to store my shotgun rather than in the slip.

My cabinet is in my basement which is heated by a couple of good oil filled radiators, never suffered from rust damage from damp but would a gun sock help increase prevention? Also does the VCI chemicals damage wood if used long term?

Any advice greatly appreciated and I'll search the forums as well for answers.

Cheers

Maldred4

Hi, I have used a similar one piece impregnated slip for a number of years. I have now increased the number so that all of my guns are stored in them. I have never had any damp or condesation problems, but I use them more to provide protection when I am taking guns in or out of the cabinet. None of my guns have suffered any effects from storing them like this, neither do they get scratched or wood dented.

don't store guns in slips in cabinets...... slips will trap the moisture (if present) next to the gun....

+1

Many years ago I took my gun to a friends (warm centrally heated house) in a sleeve from our rather cold unheated house - and left it in the sleeve overnight (in his cabinet). Rust was already starting by next morning. A lesson learned. I think 'socks' are fine because they are fully breathable, but I don't use them myself.

While we are on the subject chaps I was thinking of getting a few for my guns to avoid cabinet marks are they stretchy enough for scoped rifles ???

The one I have is a browning one piece and it only comes in one size and says it fits most firearms but makes no mention of scopes being attached. However it does stretch quite a bit. I think Remington do one as well and browning also do a 2 piece one.