Howa .243 bullet weight max!

walt1980

Right, dilemma time.

Currently have a Howa .243 20" sporter, and using Norma 75grn rounds is grouping fine. Using it for fox and muntjac. All ok so far, seen a few Roe and Fallow on some other of the farmers fields and been asked to thin them out too. As far as I know I need to use minimum of 100grn rounds to be deer legal.

When I got the rifle tried a few types and it wouldnt group 100grn very well, from memory about 2-3" at just under 100 yds. Just picked up a box of 100grn Norma to try again but not sure it's gonna work. Barrel is 1-10 twist, anyone else any experience with Howas as to max bullet weight?? Rifle was brand new so barrel may of needed to be used a bit to group properly!

If it's not grouping well enough, should I go for a better .243 (Sako/tika) which can take a heavier bullet (been told 1-8 twist would be better) or go .270 or .308?

Over to you the informed and experience pw lot!!!

I shoot a sako 85 1-10 twist and it will shoot pretty much anything will shot factory fed 100 grain sp half inch group at 100 m so I should amagine your 1-10 will be fine some rifle s can be bullet fusy, iv used norma and they were the same to. My mates howa liked 95 grain remmington accu tip maybe worth a try and more than capable to shoot roe/ fallow

Right, dilemma time.

Currently have a Howa .243 20" sporter, and using Norma 75grn rounds is grouping fine. Using it for fox and muntjac. All ok so far, seen a few Roe and Fallow on some other of the farmers fields and been asked to thin them out too. As far as I know I need to use minimum of 100grn rounds to be deer legal.

When I got the rifle tried a few types and it wouldnt group 100grn very well, from memory about 2-3" at just under 100 yds. Just picked up a box of 100grn Norma to try again but not sure it's gonna work. Barrel is 1-10 twist, anyone else any experience with Howas as to max bullet weight?? Rifle was brand new so barrel may of needed to be used a bit to group properly!

If it's not grouping well enough, should I go for a better .243 (Sako/tika) which can take a heavier bullet (been told 1-8 twist would be better) or go .270 or .308?

Over to you the informed and experience pw lot!!!

Std 1-10 will stabilise a 100 grn deer load. But by the same count as your gun wont like all 75 grn loads it wont like all 100 grn. try federal in factory but in England there is no requirement for a 100 grn it must make the min energy though ! If I had to bet I should say 100 grn Seirra pro-Hunter bullets or 95grn Nosler B/tip over N160 will be the best shooting in hand loads for deer but I have little knowledge of factory, though Federal has rarely failed me in most sizes.