Gun Fit

Lucky

Hello All,

I went along to my gun shop today to have a look at purchasing my first gun.Now due to budget restrictions :angry: Iwas looking at the Lanber or the Bettinsoli, dont all shout at once I know some of you have your own personal opinions on these guns but these fall within my budget for now, and later I can move on to a more expensive gun.

I tried the Bettensoli first and he said that this was no good for me as my eye was just picking up the bead at the end and I should be able to see right along the rib of the gun, he said there was no point with the Lanber because it would be the same although he didn't have a right handed gun for me to try.

I then tried a Miroku and he said that this was a much better fit as I wouldn't have a hope in hell of hitting anything with the other two :good: I suppose my question is ,do I get another opinion as I dont want to get the wrong gun.I know I can get the stock adjusted but he said this could affect the resale value when I come to sell it, or in other words makes it less attractive to future buyers.

Any advice would be much apprieciated.

Regards Colin

Just like to point out the Miroku is most likely being the more expensive gun...Depends how honest the bloke was, was he being genuine or was he trying to milk more money out of you.

Out of the 2, i would go for the lanber, very reliable and built like a brick **** house.

Bettinsoli's have a few issues to there name

gun fit is a messy area

ask TLE what he thinks about gun fit. He shoots right handed guns off his left shoulder i believe.

bare in mind that peoples idea of a gun that fits is very different. If i picked up a gun and looked at the rib, i would consider a good fitting gun to be showing about a few mm's of rib and for me to be looking right down the middle of the rib.

However shooters of trap etc... who like a flat fitting gun would preffer to see much more rib than this as it means they have to shoot under the target (suits the dropping away (dtl/trap) targets alot better.

Go with what feels right. You can learn to shoot nearly any gun. I shot guns which didnt fit me for years, and got quite good at it. But the right gun certainly helps making progress.

If you see the whole length of the rib then your head is too high, you should just see the bead at the end, and as you get used to the gun, ignore that and concentrate on swinging through the target (bum, belly, beak) just looking down the barrel. Also try moving your hand position on the fore-end as this can affect head position, with my hand at the front of my Sil Pigs fore-end I have perfect line up, but if my hand moves back then I tend to lift my head and shoot wrong.

Go to more gun shops and pick every gun off the racks in your price range until one fits, practise mounting the gun a few times and swinging. You will know when you have found the one for you.

Pat

you should just see the bead at the end

dont agree with this :angry:

if your seeing no rib at all then i would say your forcing your head onto the stock. Trust me on this one i used to do this. Now i dont force my head onto the stock and accept that i will see some (but not alot) of rib, i shoot much better. This also goes hand in hand with a gun which has alot of drop at comb (miroku mk70)

gun fit is a messy area

ask TLE what he thinks about gun fit. He shoots right handed guns off his left shoulder i believe.

bare in mind that peoples idea of a gun that fits is very different. If i picked up a gun and looked at the rib, i would consider a good fitting gun to be showing about a few mm's of rib and for me to be looking right down the middle of the rib.

However shooters of trap etc... who like a flat fitting gun would preffer to see much more rib than this as it means they have to shoot under the target (suits the dropping away (dtl/trap) targets alot better.

Go with what feels right. You can learn to shoot nearly any gun. I shot guns which didnt fit me for years, and got quite good at it. But the right gun certainly helps making progress.

The comp i came 6th in i shot with a left hooker it wasn't for another few weeks someone pointed it out to me :angry:

I am quite lucky i shoot **** with ALL guns :good:

As they say Shop about and when you mount a gun you should naturally see a little of the rib and it should be straight without having to exert too much pressure on your cheek to gain a straight sight.

Also if your right thumb is against your nose the stock is too short for you.

LG

Funny you say that. When we had our meet at christmas he was shooting the best scores, left handed with a right handers cast on the stock. I couldn't believe what I was seeing :angry:

Lucky

Gun fit is paramount. Take a day off and visit a shooting school that have a 'Try' gun. This can be adjusted to fit your exact needs and the gun can then be used to ensure you are shooting correctly. Actually it is something that should be undertaken on an infrequent but regular basis as we all tend to change our habits as we grow and age and our shooting stance also changes which affects our accuracy. The gun can be adjusted to compensate for these changes.

However do note that a stock of an English gun (and most foreign side by sides) can be easily moved up, down and side to side by bending and casting but the majority of foreign over and unders have very limited movement if any because the stock is held to the action with a long threaded rod from under the plate or pad. Usually you can get some adjustment by increasing the size of the hole the rod passes through and re-cutting the angle at the bottom (or making a tapered washer) but it is difficult and the chance of breaking an over and under stock whilst bending or casting is far greater.

You must bear in mind that stock adjustment will be at the customers risk so if they do break your stock whilst adjusting it YOU will pay for a new one. This is general throughout the Gun-trade and it will be most unusual if you find anything different. Make sure you are well insured before undertaking any alterations.

The answer, therefore, is to have a session at the shooting school - get your measurements and look for a gun with approx the correct bend and cast. Length of course is very easy to alter without risk.

I bought a Lanber sporting delux just before xmas from Essex Gun in Romford. Saw Alan down there a couple of times to look at a few guns. He had a l/h lanber last time I was there, may be worth giving them a ring if local to you. He was a great help in looking over the various guns i picked up for fit and even checked my eye dominance for me (r/h with left dom :angry: ) would recomend him definatly.

Lee