new tyre question

malkiserow

Looking for new tyres for a 100% road car.

A couple of places told me a winter tyre was a total waste unless we have snow on the ground... - fact or fiction?

Now I've see some of the youtube videos that suggested otherwise and that winter tyres were better in the wet not just snow but the tyre sellers said otherwise . And you would think they want to sell more tyres....... ????

Also... Which of these tyres is the best? Hankook Uniroyal Bridgestone

There was thread recently which seemed to suggest that, on snow, winter tyres were v much better than usual tyres, more or less confirming the advice given to you.

I use normal Hankook tyres on mine and the last set gave me 40K - I'd recommend tham.

IIR, winter tyres work better than normal tyres at below 7deg. Normal tyres are harder at below 7deg and don't offer the same grip.

Winter tyres, due to their make up are softer and above 7 deg, will wear faster and are generally more noisy due to the tread pattern

IIR, winter tyres work better than normal tyres at below 7deg. Normal tyres are harder at below 7deg and don't offer the same grip.

Winter tyres, due to their make up are softer and above 7 deg, will wear faster and are generally more noisy due to the tread pattern

As above. A summer tyre will also wear faster in the winter as the rubber compound becomes hard. A good compromise if you don't want to switch between summer and winter is an all season tyre which offers reasonable performance all year round.

Depending on size you will struggle with availability of winter/cold weather tyres at this time of year though. I checked a few sizes the other day and there were none in the country! Remaining stocks will disappear sharp as soon as the snow comes

I said all this 7 degree stuff as that is as I understood it etc but they said that the manufacturers have improved the compound of the summer ones to there is less difference now.

Given they could sell more tyres by supporting the extra set of winter tyres, Maybe they were being honest by saying they don't recommend them? I think they all agree that actually in snow winter tyres were better but how many days is that for?

Looking for new tyres for a 100% road car.

A couple of places told me a winter tyre was a total waste unless we have snow on the ground... - fact or fiction?

Now I've see some of the youtube videos that suggested otherwise and that winter tyres were better in the wet not just snow but the tyre sellers said otherwise . And you would think they want to sell more tyres....... ????

Also... Which of these tyres is the best? Hankook Uniroyal Bridgeston

nothing grips better to snow than snow itself. snow tyres are made with a wider tread pattern and a lot more of it so that more snow sticks into your tread pattern providing you with more grip. as above the temp issue is another thing as regards to the wear on them and with the prices of tyres now days you want them lasting as long as possible

nothing grips better to snow than snow itself. As suggested above,

When you consider that it is just the macro texture levering against a 5 mm line of snow along each line of tread (less when the tread is clogged) then, if the surface is snow or packed snow it seems unlikely that ANY tyre will provide substantially more grip - a bit more yes but - not a lot. I am sure we can all visualise the effort needed to scrape packed snow into a snow ball ? I may be wrong but I'm still not convinced by winter tyres.

I was naturally sceptical about these when I first looked into them a couple of years ago.

But I read a lot about them and became convinced.

They are still quite new to the UK so you get a lot of BS about them.

Best thing I found to do was look up the German and Austrian magazines and motoring organisations (google translate etc helps). They do proper controlled tests every year on different models (wet brake, dry braking, lap times on snow, ice, wet, dry etc max traction force etc) they also normally throw in summer tyres and all season tyres as controls and there are often videos of the results.

(it is also interesting to see standard summer tyres outperform MT tyres on the tests)

There seemed to be a clear pattern - keep well away from budget brands as perform very badly (usually dangerously so).

Good winters will outperform summers in all conditions wet or dry in cold weather.

Scandinavian tyres tend to win the snow test but German brands tend to be best all rounders and most suitable for cold wet winters.

For cars, Continetal TS850 seem to win pretty much every one of this years tests.

Try these if you struggle locally http://www.ears.co.uk/ (no connection, but used once and they were ok. have a good reputation)

Do your own proper research and see what you think.

(winterreifen = winter tyre) :good:

Edited by HW682

We've had two frosty days so far this winter, winter tyres wear faster and won't be as good when things warm up. I'd just take their advice this year

and they use more fuel and they will put a curse on you to kill your first born and turn you gay.. all proven facts :yes:

Two frosty days but plenty of wet days this winter so far with temps in single figures.

I'm not taking mine off because some bloke on t'internet said they were no good - and I don't expect the OP to fit some because someone on a forum said so.

Malkiserow** always comes across as an intelligent bloke so my advice is just to do a bit of research and don't listen to people who just dismiss them because they don't like anything "new".

We probably had the same discussion moving from solid tyres to pneumatic (think of the punctures etc) but after a few years no one would go back to them.

**edit to add: as it happens I also generally agree with much of what al4x posts - so don't intend to get into a debate. Different people have different opinions and can make their own mind up :good:

Edited by HW682

I'm happy with the winter tyres I put on my golf about 6 weeks ago. There has been no noticible change in fuel consumption while driving my normal commute. I find that road noise in the cabin has been reduced and grip has certainly increased.

I was never happy with the original tyres on it, they seemed to spin in 1st and 2nd in any conditions without really trying. But with the winter tyres I struggle to get slip even in first. I have noticed the wet weather performance markedly better and no hint of aqua planing now. Maybe I'm biased as I want these to be good because I took a chance and spent some extra. But so far this winter I'm certainly happy with them.

I'm happy with the winter tyres I put on my golf about 6 weeks ago. There has been no noticible change in fuel consumption while driving my normal commute. I find that road noise in the cabin has been reduced and grip has certainly increased.

I was never happy with the original tyres on it, they seemed to spin in 1st and 2nd in any conditions without really trying. But with the winter tyres I struggle to get slip even in first. I have noticed the wet weather performance markedly better and no hint of aqua planing now. Maybe I'm biased as I want these to be good because I took a chance and spent some extra. But so far this winter I'm certainly happy with them.

I don't understand this - aquaplaning is when the tyre lifts under the pressure of water pushing underneath it - it is related to and a function of forward speed and very little else. Certainly not the micro texture of the tyre. Its not related to rubber type or anything else I can think of which would distinguish mormal tyres from cold weather tyres. Maybe slightly related to macro texture

Maybe these tyres can make coffee as well?

Sorry to be rude but better at reducing aquaplaning - not a chance.

and they use more fuel and they will put a curse on you to kill your first born and turn you gay.. all proven facts :yes:

Two frosty days but plenty of wet days this winter so far with temps in single figures.

I'm not taking mine off because some bloke on t'internet said they were no good - and I don't expect the OP to fit some because someone on a forum said so.

Malkiserow** always comes across as an intelligent bloke so my advice is just to do a bit of research and don't listen to people who just dismiss them because they don't like anything "new".

We probably had the same discussion moving from solid tyres to pneumatic (think of the punctures etc) but after a few years no one would go back to them.

**edit to add: as it happens I also generally agree with much of what al4x posts - so don't intend to get into a debate. Different people have different opinions and can make their own mind up :good:

What we are talking about is are the benefits there in the uk climate to justify using 2 sets of tyres. I'm not sure I know they work well in countries with a harsh climate but personally most of this year they would be no benefit. If you fit proper ones they will be slimmer than standard so actually grip less in most U.K. Conditions. The wear faster came from relatives who used to live in Germany who sold their sets when they moved back here.

Sorry to be rude but better at reducing aquaplaning - not a chance.

A good cold weather tyre has deeper tread grooves (when new) that are solely there to evacuate water from beneath the tyre and road surface thus reducing aqua planning. Take a look at the tread pattern on a Goodyear Ultra Grip 8 (Google images) and you will see the increased tread depth and a 'V' shape patterned to increase the amount of water that can be shifted

What we are talking about is are the benefits there in the uk climate to justify using 2 sets of tyres. I'm not sure I know they work well in countries with a harsh climate but personally most of this year they would be no benefit. If you fit proper ones they will be slimmer than standard so actually grip less in most U.K. Conditions. The wear faster came from relatives who used to live in Germany who sold their sets when they moved back here.

which is exactly why you don't fit narrow ones. Sounds like an hang up from calling them "snow tyres".

Also I know Germans who moved to live here and were gobsmacked that they couldn't even buy winter tyres never mind them being compulsory. Was pretty sarcastic when the papers etc ask why we grind to a halt with 1cm of snow when the rest of the world seems to cope - not rocket science apparently.

It is up to each individual to weigh up the pros and cons for themselves. Probably more worth it the further north you are. We have certainly had more than 2 days of frost this winter so far.

edit; just seen that the Express are predicting a week of heavy snow - so probably time to switch to summer tyres and get the open-tops out of mothballs :lol:

Edited by HW682

The wet stopping rating is very interesting.

Some winter tyres are worse and some better than summer ones. ~But, are they rated using the same temperature for the test for both summer or winter?

Or are they tested in their design environments i.e above or below 7 Degrees C ?