Soft primers

Does anybody know if any manufacturers use primers that need less pressure to go off ? My miroku has suffered from misfires on some fiocchis, on checking the firing pins and springs are fine.

I wondered if anybody knew whether other manufacturers use primers that don't need as much pressure to fire ?

Not sure if it to the gun or the cartridge at the moment.

Thanks

Seen mis made shell heads, even well off centre primer pockets so its quite possible the light strikes area result of poor manufacture giving to deep a recess. How did you check the stikes? I tend to check a gun over with a 2 pence myself pressed hard against the face. Have you tried other shells? I doubt its over hard primer cups though, if its not happening every time it can be debris in the action

I sent it to a gunsmith to check it and he said the firing pins looked good and we're striking well ? I have tried several brands fiocchi/ roc and cheddite with similar random second barrel misfires.

Hopefully it is something like a fractured spring ? As it's not consistent but it is very frustrating.

d

I sent it to a gunsmith to check it and he said the firing pins looked good and we're striking well ? I have tried several brands fiocchi/ roc and cheddite with similar random second barrel misfires.

Hopefully it is something like a fractured spring ? As it's not consistent but it is very frustrating.

d

Some batches of Fiocchi Top One have very hard primers, if you look at the primer carefully you will most likely find a very shallow indent. People automatically assume that it's the result of a 'light' strike.

Next time it happens, try shooting it again in your gun or give it to someone who shoots a Beretta, I'd be surprised if it doesn't go bang.

Regards remmyman

Some batches of Fiocchi Top One have very hard primers, if you look at the primer carefully you will most likely find a very shallow indent. People automatically assume that it's the result of a 'light' strike.

Next time it happens, try shooting it again in your gun or give it to someone who shoots a Beretta, I'd be surprised if it doesn't go bang.

Regards remmyman

Be prepared to be surprised I've had a few F-Black fail to fire and only one fired after changing the barrel and having another go, gun is a Beretta 682 Gold E with not a great deal of use. Thankfully not had anymore today and shot another 75. Apart from this annoying problem the carts are great and give good breaks. I used 1/4 choke today and clay was 65 yards smashed to little bits. Hope they sort it out soon.

Figgy

Well I got the miroku back today after having the spring checked. It's a v spring model and appears to have firing pins in good condition and is striking well...?

So I'm trying a range of different cartridges eley, lyalvale and cheddite again to see if the second barrel strikes consistently.....

I have a citron as well with coil springs which were changed so I will try that with the same cartridges and see what happens. It does seem odd that some guns can't fire some cartridges consistently....?

The problem of light strikes from Browning / Miroku guns is well documented on Google, particularly bottom barrel as the lower firing pin strikes at an angle and doesn't protrude quite as much as the upper pin. Light strikes can occur with Beretta 680 series gun but are much less common and are more complicated to fix than are the Brownings. A range of aftermarket solutions are available in the States, I don't know if they are readily available in the UK.

I've just started work on a firing pin force measuring device and firing pin protude gauge.

It worries me that the length of firing pins can be critical, yet I keep hearing the pins and springs "look OK", and the fact that a gunsmith has said it is accepted as gospel, yet seldom are examinations and measurements made to satisfy manufacturers specifications. The perceived fact that it may look right, doesn't mean that it really is right.

webber

It's when your gun shoots another makes fine and only has a problem with Fiocchis.

Missed a perfect opertunity today to check the primer strikes compared to my Beretta as I took my SX3 for my son to shoot compact sporting alongside me, should have had a look at the strikes as the firing pin is in a straight line.

Figgy