Back to the roots

turbo33

Pcp's, aren't they just the most amazing bits of kit. Silent, stupidly accurate, multi-shot etc, etc. The Fac Airwolf I have is a beast of a rifle. A click of the trigger, and an absurdly accurate Bisley Magnum is on its way to add another to the bag, at some incredible ranges :yes: The hw100 is much the same, although obviously at sub 12ftlbs, the range is much closer.

Its a far cry from the .22 BSA meteor I had for my xmas present 45 years ago :lol: Still, it hardly left my side. I knew nothing about loopy trajectory, what ftlbs were, but it accounted for hundreds of rats, squirrels and pigeons. Somehow, you knew just where to aim :yes:

For a while now, (must be an age thing :lol: ) I've looked back on the fun I had with a basic break barrel. After reading a load of reviews, and bits and bobs on youtube, I decided to buy a Weihrauch HW95k.

I drove down to Chichester Armoury, and half an hour later, I was back in the car with a new HW95k, .177. Just as I was leaving, they passed me a tin of RWS super domes and some targets free of charge :good:

I had a Nikko Mountmaster 4-12x50 lying unused, so popped it on and within 20 shots, I had it zero'd. I messed about with a few different pellets, H&N, AA Field, RWS, JSB, Bisley Magnum. The AA's were streets ahead of the others in terms of accuracy. Interestingly, all of them are 4.5mm, but the AA's I had in 4.51 and 4.52. The 4.52's were the best producing a consistent pound sized group at 33 yards, which tbh, I thought was quite exceptional for a springer with me behind it :lol: The balance is very good and at 7lbs scoped, its very light. The HW silencer does what they do so well, and apart from a bit of twang, its surprisingly quiet.

I had read a few stories about the QC with Weihrauchs, and was curious to know if, without sending to a tuner, it could be improved further. So I stripped it down today to give it a going over :lol:

A few hours later, and with quite a few things done, I had it back together. I put twenty odd pellets through it into the ground then re-zero'd it.

I'm very pleased with the results. Its pushing out 11.15ftlbs with AA Fields. The twang has gone, just a gentle thud and the cocking is really smooth. The most surprising thing is the accuracy. I was able to put 5 pellet groups at under the size of a 5p at 33 yards, with relative ease :good:

When I get a chance, I'll try and pop up a video just to show how good the HW95k break barrel springer is :good:

Edited by turbo33

My next air rifle is a tactical HW97 with a stage 1 tune from Tony Wall at Sandwell Field Sports. Very excited! At the present time, loving my Air Arms S510 carbine superlite hunter!

I v-mached my HW97k a couple of weeks ago, along with a few other tweeks :whistling: Its now super smooth and is an absolute one holer as long as I do my bit :good:

Edited by turbo33

Funny how things happen mate,ive just Pmd you saying ive bought a .177 break barrel for a bit of plinking/shooting the odd rabbit/pigeon at work :good: BB (it's nothing fancy though)

Well get your butt over here for some plinking and a cuppa :lol::good:

Edited by turbo33

great read that!.. i shot a friends old relum telly (my word it had seen better days) the other day, just a bit of plinking in his garden, the dieseling smell. the twang of the spring, and the recoil, almost made my hw 100 seem a bit boring realy, good good fun in the end...oh and marksman pellets added to the old times way. :yes: .