Best Pellet to Set up Regulator

Theskyfox

Hi Guys,

Looking to get my Air Arms TDR soon in .177. One of the first jobbies I have had a quote for is to get a regulator fitted to improve the shot count and consistency. As a part

of the service, you also get a "tune up" to a pellet of your choice.

My question is...what would be the best pellet to get the gun set up with? I'm looking for a reasonably heavy pellet that can be set to 11ftlbs, and do not want any risk

of a heavier pellet taking the gun over the legal limit.

-Andrew

Hi Guys,

Looking to get my Air Arms TDR soon in .177. One of the first jobbies I have had a quote for is to get a regulator fitted to improve the shot count and consistency. As a part

of the service, you also get a "tune up" to a pellet of your choice.

My question is...what would be the best pellet to get the gun set up with? I'm looking for a reasonably heavy pellet that can be set to 11ftlbs, and do not want any risk

of a heavier pellet taking the gun over the legal limit.

-Andrew

think heaviest are 21grain piledrivers made in the uk.

what ever you set it with i'm sure plod will find summit heavier to push it over if required

Edited by Remimax

Heaviest from decent manufacturers I can find are H&N Rabbit Magnums 15.74 grain followed by, Crosman Premier Ultra Magnum 14.3 grain. Would you really want to use any heavier?

Eun Jin apparently produce a 16 grain pellet but never heard of them so won't add them in.

Do you really need such a heavy pellet? I only use a 10 grain pellet for hunting so would be asking them to set it up for what I use or a touch heavier.

Hi, Thanks for the replies,

Well I'm not specifically looking for a heavy pellet, I'm just aware that heavy pellets give more power (to a certain point). I'd normally consider something like a 9.5 grain Logun Penetrator. After reading lots of scare stories you see on here and elsewhere, I'm just trying to work out what the best weight is give you the best performance whilst giving enough leeway to prevent any issues.

21 grain piledrivers - is that in .177? thats insane, who would actually use such a weight sub 12 ftlbs?!

-Andrew

You should not go over power with heavier pellets as the regulator has a set level or power it delivers regardles off pellet weight un like unregulated power ... my bsa r10 mk2 has less power useing blisley mags than rws super or field !

bsa r10 is regulated as is my hw100

my webley raider 10 is not and does creep up .

Edited by norfolkgoose

I wouldn't go any heavier than Crosman Premmier Ultra magnum in .177 cal and at 10.5g is well heavy for .177.I do think that at that weight you would begin to loose some of the flat trajectory of the .177 calibre. I wouldn't bother going any heavier than 8.5g at 11.5 ft/Lb and concentrate on accurate shot placement.

(error correction edit)

Edited by Good shot?

Right, just read that, and nowhere can I see where anyone's saying that the power output is regulated. A few people are saying that the power output is the same regardless of pellet, surely the only way that can be done is by regulating the amount of air released as I suggested.

They all seem to be suggesting that there would be some variation with different weights, basically a heavier pellet pushed out of the barrel with the same amount of air will be travelling a bit slower, but being heavier it will carry more energy at POI. It's the correlation between the two. Why else would you need to put a pellet weight into a chrono when power testing?

and you now know why the brain is baffled,

have to agree with mongrel on the following

basically a heavier pellet pushed out of the barrel with the same amount of air will be travelling a bit slower, but being heavier it will carry more energy at POI

but I was lead to believe the heavier the pellet the more power,,but this does not seem the case with regulated air rifles,but does seem to be the case with unregulated ones though,

I was also lead to believe the reason we have our air rifles regulated was to give a very EVEN power curve wether your gun was full 200+bar or nearly empty ie 100bar

Edited by evo

Thanks for the replies. Ok, My experience so far has only been with unregulated rifles where generally heavy pellets have resulted in higher ftlbs. I wasn't aware that regulated rifles didn't suffer from this - and its good to know! 8.5Grain at 11.5 ftlbs sounds about reasonable. I think I'll have a chat with the BTAS guys too and see what they recommend.

-Andrew

Edited by Theskyfox

Thanks for the replies. Ok, My experience so far has only been with unregulated rifles where generally heavy pellets have resulted in higher ftlbs. I wasn't aware that regulated rifles didn't suffer from this - and its good to know! 8.5Grain at 11.5 ftlbs sounds about reasonable. I think I'll have a chat with the BTAS guys too and see what they recommend.

-Andrew

Trouble is that they do, well can, suffer variations. My regulated AA 510 chronos higher with Bisley Mags than with AirArms fields.