What new 4X4

pavman

I have around £575 a month for a new 4X4 when my present company car lease is up in may. Boss has said I can have what I want :lol: all i have to do is pick it :angry:

not so easy as you may think, 35 miles each way to work I have to pay all running costs, tending to lean to the Nissan Navara which comes in at £425 on contract hire, 30 MPG 18000 service int. I would go for the Pathfinder or maybe the new Freelander but some how my wildfowling boat on the roof bars and sacks of salty deeks in the back folded down seats makes me think i will get hit with a bill for outside of normal use charge when its handed back. So I dont think i can get away from a truck.

I guess I am a lucky lad but even so its not easy :good:

ho hum

Range Rover Sport 2.7 TDV6.

Put your short arms in your deep pockets at the end of the lease for a professional to valet it.

£495 per month @ www.covase.co.uk

LB

LB it sounds good, however its max 10K miles a year for that deal, i do about 20k :P

what do you mean short arms, thats the sort of abuse you expect in da house :lol: my MP will write to you soon :lol:

Put your short arms in your deep pockets at the end of the lease for a professional to valet it.

LB

LB it sounds good, however its max 10K miles a year for that deal, i do about 20k :P

what do you mean short arms, thats the sort of abuse you expect in da house :lol: my MP will write to you soon :lol:

I can help you with mileage correction if you feel that its recording too many miles.

Does that get me off the hook?

LB :lol:

LB

I can help you with mileage correction if you feel that its recording too many miles.

Does that get me off the hook?

LB :lol:

Tut Tut :lol:

Navara is a lovely 4x4, i cart the posh nobs around in a 6 month old one on shoot days, its a peach to drive, shed loads of room in the back for all the gear ...... thats where my money would go

I really want one the facts come out that at present I do 1900 miles a month at 30mpg thats about £315 a month on derv :lol:

Pavman,

Why don't you just get a trailer to put all your shooting gear in, that way you won't damage the motor at all.

Must admit, I'm doing more miles these day's which is why I had to get rid of My Servies II V8 Discovery, just bought a Kia Sorento 2.5 CRDi XS, (Don't all laugh :good: ), it's much better than I thought it was going to be.

Loads of space, comfortable, all the gadgets and 30+ MPG.

The new model also has the 170bhp engine which makes a big difference, think they start at about £19K and only about £24k new for the Very top of the range with Leather, sat-nav, etc. etc. That might be an option, should easily come within your budget, even with the miles you cover.

Pavman,

Why don't you just get a trailer to put all your shooting gear in, that way you won't damage the motor at all.

Must admit, I'm doing more miles these day's which is why I had to get rid of My Servies II V8 Discovery, just bought a Kia Sorento 2.5 CRDi XS, (Don't all laugh :good: ), it's much better than I thought it was going to be.

Loads of space, comfortable, all the gadgets and 30+ MPG.

The new model also has the 170bhp engine which makes a big difference, think they start at about £19K and only about £24k new for the Very top of the range with Leather, sat-nav, etc. etc. That might be an option, should easily come within your budget, even with the miles you cover.

heweyvts, I am on board with this option, kind of best of both worlds, the new freelander gives 37 MPG anyone got one? the Nissan X Trail is even better at 39mpg thats 25% better than the Navara, would only need the trailer for my fowling trips, looks like you can get a good load liner as well

this may just work

Pavman,

I drove an X-Trail before I bought the Sorento, it did have more poke than the Sorento (although the new 170 bhp one is about the same) but I just didn't think it would last that well off road, looking underneath it didn't look to have the same ground clearance and the Exhaust looked very vunerable.

The New Sorento with a Manual box is meant to do about 35mpg on the combined ratings but in reality I reckon 30ish is more like it, Oh and the Sorento has much more space inside than the X-Trail, with room for 3 Adults on the back seat.

Give one a test drive, you never know you might like it, I was surprised, I hadn't thought about a Kia at all. Oh and it's got a Sunroof for shooting out of. :good:

I've just fitted a set of All terrain tyres on it and am out shooting on Monday so will be able to tell you how it performs off-road next week.

I'm not a great lover of the Freelander, don't know what they've done on the new model but the safety rating on the old one was appauling.

Just do what I did, go out and drive everything you can think of and see what fits the bill.

Pavman dont discount the Honda crvtdi 2.3 turbo 42mpg great to drive on road, and i use mine off road but mainly grass fields and stubble for my shooting no problem.

Front wheel drive but if they start to spin computor will put it into 4 wheel drive when needed loads of room inside as well.. :good:;) B) :lol:

Hawkeye,

Don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way. :good:

I looked at the Honda myself, yes very good on road but very limited off road ability, I would say more room inside than the RAV4 and X-Trail but unfortunately Honda has followed many of the other soft roaders and moved the new model even more towards the road driver and seem to have forgotten that some of us actually use them off-road. Ground Clearance, towing capability etc. seem to have been forgotten in the name of on road comfort and MPG.

OK most of them never go more off road than at the local boot fair but they are far from being a proper useable 4x4.

OK yes I have a Kia now, yes I did prefer my V8 Discovery don't know why just that little green badge I purpose but I have doubled my MPG and I really don't think I've lost that much over the Disco I've just sold. In fact it's less noisy and more comfortable, it's permanent 4wd, it also has a low ratio box and a decent amount of ground clearance.

I and my friends have had the "soft roaders" and it really boils down to what you want the vehicle to be able to do.

I do know what a soft roader will do with a decent set of tyres, they can go places you never imagine they will, but when it gets really sticky or hilly, without low range watch that clutch burn.

Pavman, all I can say is drive the lot, think what your priorities are and go for what you will be happy with after all your going to be doing a lot of miles in it. Don't know where you are in Suffolk but I'm on the Essex Suffolk border if you want to go out in mine and I don't mind getting it dirty.!!

Pavman dont discount the Honda crvtdi 2.3 turbo 42mpg great to drive on road, and i use mine off road but mainly grass fields and stubble for my shooting no problem.

Front wheel drive but if they start to spin computor will put it into 4 wheel drive when needed loads of room inside as well.. :):):good::/

I've just swapped by beloved Subaru Forester for a Honda CRV diesel (the old model with the wheel on the back door).

I've had to have the Honda as it was in the car fleet with only 11,000 miles and the car policy has now changed to no more 4 x 4's.

The Scooby has not missed a beat in almost 120,000 miles in 2.5 years and was great off road with it's low ratio box and huge sun roof to shoot out of.

So, I've inherited this pansy Honda with tinted windows and I was prepared to put up with it as a last resort. Much to my surprise in a weeks driving (1,000 miles) I'm getting to like the beast. The diesel engine is a real cracker and averaging just over 40 mpg so far - and I don't spare the diesel!

I haven't taken it off road yet, but the low 1st gear (6 speed box) is bound to help.

We'll have to see

Don

Hawkeye,

Don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way. :/

I looked at the Honda myself, yes very good on road but very limited off road ability, I would say more room inside than the RAV4 and X-Trail but unfortunately Honda has followed many of the other soft roaders and moved the new model even more towards the road driver and seem to have forgotten that some of us actually use them off-road. Ground Clearance, towing capability etc. seem to have been forgotten in the name of on road comfort and MPG.

OK most of them never go more off road than at the local boot fair but they are far from being a proper useable 4x4.

OK yes I have a Kia now, yes I did prefer my V8 Discovery don't know why just that little green badge I purpose but I have doubled my MPG and I really don't think I've lost that much over the Disco I've just sold. In fact it's less noisy and more comfortable, it's permanent 4wd, it also has a low ratio box and a decent amount of ground clearance.

I and my friends have had the "soft roaders" and it really boils down to what you want the vehicle to be able to do.

I do know what a soft roader will do with a decent set of tyres, they can go places you never imagine they will, but when it gets really sticky or hilly, without low range watch that clutch burn.

Pavman, all I can say is drive the lot, think what your priorities are and go for what you will be happy with after all your going to be doing a lot of miles in it. Don't know where you are in Suffolk but I'm on the Essex Suffolk border if you want to go out in mine and I don't mind getting it dirty.!!

No offence taken i do 90% road work and as i said the fields i go on are stubble or grass...

i agree with most of what you say but it does the job great for me... :D:D:good:

Front wheel drive but if they start to spin computor will put it into 4 wheel drive when needed loads of room inside as well.. :/:/:lol::P

I've just swapped by beloved Subaru Forester for a Honda CRV diesel (the old model with the wheel on the back door).

I've had to have the Honda as it was in the car fleet with only 11,000 miles and the car policy has now changed to no more 4 x 4's.

The Scooby has not missed a beat in almost 120,000 miles in 2.5 years and was great off road with it's low ratio box and huge sun roof to shoot out of.

So, I've inherited this pansy Honda with tinted windows and I was prepared to put up with it as a last resort. Much to my surprise in a weeks driving (1,000 miles) I'm getting to like the beast. The diesel engine is a real cracker and averaging just over 40 mpg so far - and I don't spare the diesel!

I haven't taken it off road yet, but the low 1st gear (6 speed box) is bound to help.

We'll have to see

Don

The 1st gear could be a bit lower in my opinion just a bit to high when lamping you end up riding the clutch if the grounds a bit rough....... :):)

Pavman,

If you decide on the more "Soft Roader" option take a look at the link below:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/gr...san_xtrail.html

This is Autoexpress's test of the New Freelander, Hando CRV, Hyundai Santa Fe and Nissan X-trail.

Santa Fe might be a good option on Lease as with the 5 year or 100,000 mile warranty thats must help on the Lease/mainteance costs.