Keepers Day Shoot

NickB65

A great day at the keepers shooting Cambridge. The wind was keen and at time cut to the bone but so refreshing. It was Cock's, Partridge and any pest species but no ground game / pest shooting. I won't bore you with the blow by blow drive write-up but lets just say the partridge flew like little rockets and I gave so much lead I was in the next county so missed most but when I connected I was well chuffed. Had some lovely pheasant shots but no doubles today. As the afternoon progressed so the wind got up and the rain came. The last drive and I was in a perfect spot to take three cock birds and a cunningly disguised Woodcock - I thought it was a partridge and my excuse was the rain was in my eyes :-)

A total of 301 birds for the day and of those I think I bagged 15 of which ten where pheasant and five partridge.

Now I love shooting and I love Pheasant shooting but for variety and challenge I think Pigeon shooting wins hands down - except when there are none in the field then I'll take Pheasant shooting every time.

:)

Sounds like you had a good day NickB65

We had our beaters day today, wet and cold here in Somerset. Nevertheless we had a stunning day, the cold seemed to have dragged the birds back into the drives. We had 13 guns shooting and ended up with 312 birds. I personally had a cracking day with 34 birds picked, mixture of pheasant and partridge.

But like NickB65 says you cant beat pigeon shooting when you are under that strong flight line.

Congrats on a good shoot mate.

Now, my beater's day was piggin' awful. We're only a small shoot so I wasn't expecting many birds. First drive I had three shots on Partridge and missed them all. :blush::oops: . Then, later in the day on a walk-up I missed a cock Pheasant too.

Felt a right pillock and had plenty of barracking to put up with.

Now, my excuses are that I only shoot game once a year on a beaters day and I normally use a semi-auto. My O/U only comes out for a beater's day too.

As if to prove the point, I've just been out Pigeon decoying and got four Pigeons for six shots. I took my O/U instead of my semi. All the shots were cracking and one of the beaters who shot on Friday was with me.

The best shot I had was a high incomer and it was so good that the other beater "Wow! that was a cracking shot"!

I had a left and right too.

I told him to make sure he tells the shoot captain about it when he sees him :yahoo:

Oh well, see what happens next year :/