Age for clay shooting?

DirtyDeeds

I'm going for a sporting round, and maybe some flurries, at Waltham Abbey this Sunday.

My daughter is 13 and has said that she would like t come along to watch and possibly have a try.

Is she too young? Is there an age limit on shotguns, or is it just related to the guage depending on your size/build?

She's the tallest in her class and is often mistaken for a 6th former - I'm an average 5'8" and if she wears heels..... I have to look up at her! :good: Could she shoot a 12g with subs cartridges, or would a 20g be the limit?

Cheers,

Steve

Cheers - I'll take her.

But will a 12g firing subs be OK, or should I start her with a 20g? There's a girl having lessons who regularly fires a 20g but my daughter's way stockier. As I say, she's my height, and I think this year she'll be needing yet another pair of motorcycle boots... this time size 9's! (no, I ain't kidding... have you ever tried getting girls school shoes in a size nine???)

I'd try a 24g load if poss and support her shoulder with the palm of your hand. The biggest problem isn't the recoil but holding the gun up :P

:good::/:/

My lad is 11 but a small 11 he is a little over 4 feet and not muscular either. I got him a Cooey 410 single as i didn't want a semi (3 shots) or an O/U incase he lost his footing on the first barrel and then there would be a second or even third shot that could go off accidently and go anywhere :)

He can't hold the gun up for more than a few seconds before it starts to get too heavy for him :D

While i know the 410 is HIGHLY unlikely to knock even a child off their feet IF you using a 12g for your daughter use only a single cart and a snap cap if O/U or a single shot in a semi till she gets the hang of it :)

Hope she enjoys it :lol:

LG

How did you and your daughter get on, I hope she managed OK?

Two of us went to Waltham Abbey today, it was the first time i've been there and I enjoyed the targets - managed 47 ex 64 which I was pleased with. Will take boots next time - got into some strange shooting positions to avoid being up to my ankles in the mud on some stands :/ As for stand 8 :no:

Well.....

She never got around to going; came down with a bout of Spanish tummy! But I think she'll come along next time, she seems keen to find out all about it.

As for Waltham Abbey, wellies are a must this time of year. The wind didn't do me any favours either, not with my warmth...... or my shooting! The clays at Broomhills on Friday seemed to have a mind of their own as well (that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it!).