Reloading a .243 - where do I start - sweet load

Give us a clue, what are you planning to shoot with it, what bullets are you thinking of as suited. Lots of data around for .243 win and many who load for it on here.

Don't just go out and buy powder its needs to match the bullet you intend to use, which needs to match the quarry.

I shouldn't personally buy opened powder from someone ever so yeah you will be stuck with it pretty much so get the right stuff

what other rifles might you want to load for. it might be that there is a powder you can use on all.

I am liking the H414, it will load 22-250 right up to the 338wm. not sure if it will work on the 222 but it does on the 223. it will even load my 7x57r so for me it might be the new all rounder.

bullet wise. dont ask me,i have spent 2 weeks reading every thing to find the one bullet, then best i came up with was the sierra gameking 85gr hollow point BT. im hopping to get out this week to see what it does on the fox. then i will decided on where i will put one into a fallow doe. dont think i would want to shoot a good buck with them though.

What im reading is they are a good, soft tissue, light framed, sub 200yrd round.

let us know where your going with it. NJC was going to try and get his running with 55gr varmageden's for the fox but he is too busy playing with his tonka toy so dont think we will see the out come this year. we have to wait till he gets bored of the yellow peril, then he will sell it, like he does with guns.

95 grn Nosler B/Tip Vhit N160 with some good brass Lapua or Norma out of preference. great performance without too much wasted venison and good for fox. Lighter constructed bullets are slightly better for fox if you push the range out some but compromise too much in the way of vension. This is also a good long range larger deer round when the impact speed drops some of the fragibility (it is non the less a deer hunting not a varmint round) just happens to do a good job on lung shot fox sideways on which is often the failing with deer bullets (many others can pencil leaving you in doubt with unrecovered animals)

Full length size each time (just knock it back to bolt feel don't go crazy and use competition type shell holders to achieve this) and trim back so the cases are even and clear in your gun, don't go knocking them all the way back to minimum.

what other rifles might you want to load for. it might be that there is a powder you can use on all.

I am liking the H414, it will load 22-250 right up to the 338wm. not sure if it will work on the 222 but it does on the 223. it will even load my 7x57r so for me it might be the new all rounder.

bullet wise. dont ask me,i have spent 2 weeks reading every thing to find the one bullet, then best i came up with was the sierra gameking 85gr hollow point BT. im hopping to get out this week to see what it does on the fox. then i will decided on where i will put one into a fallow doe. dont think i would want to shoot a good buck with them though.

What im reading is they are a good, soft tissue, light framed, sub 200yrd round.

let us know where your going with it. NJC was going to try and get his running with 55gr varmageden's for the fox but he is too busy playing with his tonka toy so dont think we will see the out come this year. we have to wait till he gets bored of the yellow peril, then he will sell it, like he does with guns.

Very tempted to go .308 for all bigger deer, so a powder to cover both would be nice.

Very tempted to go .308 for all bigger deer, so a powder to cover both would be nice.

Its not honestly not needed go to a twin core type bullet for big stuff, to much BS talked about what the .243 win wont do its all about understanding how different bullets perform and at what impact speed window. Sierra Pro-hunter 100 grn (which is the flat base, gameking is the same only boat tailed)is better once the speed drops and the 95 b/tip at range were legal will suffice. N160 is also good for 30-06 with the heavier bullets, this sepparates it more from the .243 than a .308 etc. (heavier meaning 180grn +). One powder is not really the way to go if your buying another scope and gun anyhow but N160 is also good in .300 win mag 150-170 range (one heck of a long range big red / Africa plains gun)

Yey Melk the H414 will work nicely on the .308 as well as the .243. do not go down the stupid root of expensive brass and reloading gear. not needed for in the field. the brass you will cry over as you spit the empty case on the floor when you load the just in case round. no time to fumble around catching the brass. yes great on the range where you can take your time and you play the percentages game of chasing v-bull but no need in the field. let you guys with money play that game.

i was hoping to test the .243 this week but i dont think it will happen now.

Yey Melk the H414 will work nicely on the .308 as well as the .243. do not go down the stupid root of expensive brass and reloading gear. not needed for in the field. the brass you will cry over as you spit the empty case on the floor when you load the just in case round. no time to fumble around catching the brass. yes great on the range where you can take your time and you play the percentages game of chasing v-bull but no need in the field. let you guys with money play that game.

i was hoping to test the .243 this week but i dont think it will happen now.

I've saved all my .243 brass over the years. So there is a drawer of fire-formed for my rifle.

I've saved all my .243 brass over the years. So there is a drawer of fire-formed for my rifle.

If you already have the brass use it but still FLS the .243. The bottom section is never touched by the die anyhow, though fire formed will not outshoot new from the box quality brass either its a myth hung over from shorter range bench rest shooting like neck sizing only . The reason you FLS .243 is its a notorious brass stretcher, that also why you are better with good brass - brass life. loosing the odd bit of brass from a high seat or lamping needs weighing up against brass issues in the field cracked necks, loosing an unfired bullet the barrel and filling your action with unburned powder even leaving the neck of the brass behind . About the worst thing that can happen when chambering a fast finishing shot is for that bolt refuse to close. Its got nothing to do with minutes of a fleas bum accuracy.

Want to know how I know this? Because I have done 90% of this I mention in the past with a .243 and learned from it LOL

Sorry to jump in here as it is all interesting stuff but it has been a while since I reloaded .243 can you tell me is it still cheeper as I still have all my loading gear .

Thanks in advance. Mick

I`ve been reloading for my mate 243 55g Vmax with his own brass and h414 powder for about £13 for 20, he was paying £30 for £20, he says the results are every bit as good, and he shoots a fair few foxes. :):)

Edited by malantone

Where do I start in finding a sweet load?

Any advice from the experienced reloaders would be appreciated.

Once I buy some powder...... I am kind of stuck with it for quite a while.

243 with a 1in10twist will shoot most but best between 58gr and 95gr powder look for what is available and affordable start by looking up load data and make a few loads shoot work up and then compare groupings as you get more experience you can make adjustments this is how you will find a sweet load.

No two barrels will shoot the same I have a 243in same twist mine likes Vihtavuori N140 with 70gr Sierra blitzking or 95gr Berger.

Try looking here it may help. www.lapua.com/en/products/reloading/vihtavuori-reloading-data

Sorry to jump in here as it is all interesting stuff but it has been a while since I reloaded .243 can you tell me is it still cheeper as I still have all my loading gear .

Thanks in advance. Mick

Yes mate it is cheaper if you shoot a fare bit

Please don't concern yourself with a 1-10 not stabilising 100 grain bullets it will but don't expect them all to shoot bugholes same with any bullet weight your gun will have its favourites in any weight class and twin core bullets cannot be expected to shoot as well as target / varmint types. Keep perspective on this you don't need 1/2 moa groups to drop a deer.

my 243 is a 1-10 twist and will shoot from 55gn upto 95gn with a good group but 100gn with shoot 1-1/2" group which is still ok on deer if thats what you want to use but 85-90gn is a good round and H4895 is a good powder for the 308 and 243.

As for brass use what you have :good:whats gained by using brass thats £1 + per case wont make any odds been there get the t shirt just get into a strict routine with case prep.

I think if i can remember right that my 243 loads work out at 46p per round and they do the job just fine