A gun for my kids.

Snap Cap

I would like to buy my two kids a shotgun between them for over the practice range, Nothing too flash or expensive, but its got to be lightweight and preferably with an auto safety.

Something in 410 would be ideal, my kids are 5 and 9 years old, my daughter she is the 9 year old is the one showing more interest in shooting than my boy.

Not much of a budget I'm afraid, dont really want to go much over 150 quid for a SH gun.

Any suggestions?

Cheers.

Hi, rural Essex isn't far from Thetford, Norfolk. I have a Webley & Scott bolt action 410g (single shot) for £50 and an almost new 28g over/under Investarm (only fired 74 cartridges) for £245.00

PM me for more details as this should really be in the for sale section.

ive heard people say that a 20b is a better starter gun than a .410; the pattern in a .410 is small so you have to be an accurate shot in order to hit the clay. seemingly the newer idea is a 20b still quite light but easier to smash the clays. just an idea hope you get the kids sorted with a gun.

my kids are 5 and 9 years old, my daughter she is the 9 year old is the one showing more interest in shooting than my boy.

The problem you have, is getting the gun to fit!!! I've a 15yr old daughter, not quite there yet, but I don't want to start doctoring the stock.

My opinion, a 410 is the wrong gun to start kids with, they could be the best natural shots going, only to be disheartened with lack of hitting power, & range.

The 410 is for the more experienced gun who knows it's limitations.

BJ.

It really does depend what you want them to do with the gun.

If it is to seriously shoot at clays, I would suggest a 28 bore as minimum, but then that may cost more than you want, especially if you have to pay to have the stock shortened (which reduces the guns value immediately).

Its also a question of gun weight, how much can they hold up for any length of time ?

I would suggest a visit to the clay ground and seek to borrow a .410 and 20 bore (plus a 28 bore if you can find one) and see how they handle the guns weight, without necessarily firing them.

If you want them to fire at a static target, just to get the feel, the bang, the kick etc. then I would buy a cheap .410 (probably one about £50 :look: ) and DIY alter the stock to fit the kids.

That way you haven't wasted any money and in a couple of years time move them up to something bigger.

cheers chaps, some good and helpfull advice there.

I have found a brand new Baikal single barrel 410 for £114, very light and very small. Going to take my daughter along to Essex Guns this weekend and see what she thinks.

Thanks again for the advice.

Truth is I want a 410 as well.