Pigeon headshots

Woodmister

Like I say if the bird is relaxed at roost and you have a clear shot at the head and know the range is appropriate and it presents the best option fair enough. On the ground and the head is here there and everywhere, in deed I think the head moves by reaction before the pellet can get there.

There has always and will always be a lot of rubbish spoken on the subject of airgun accuracy. Field target scores, ranges and target sizes bring us back to earth with a bump though. Put all those 40mm targets down to say 10- 15mm with reducers and a clear round will become almost impossible even for the very best, get the inanimate targets to bob about unexpectedly and a clear round will become pure fluke.

Although unconventional, I have killed several cleanly with a shot right up the jacksie towards the head. Obviously a head shot is better if you can see it.

I will admit I have done this on a feral at around 4ft. We couldn't grab it as it sat within a deep eaves on the first purlin using a full power .22 airgun. It didn't do as suggested or as I thought it should. I suspect its the fact of having to get through the intestines etc. Shall never ever try again and it wasn't an easy mistake to correct. Doubtless on occasions it will work but I don't care to ever play with those percentages again

So, after reading this you can sum up by saying:

IF you are shooting out of a window at a tree above a veg patch or in garden (Obviously to protect crops or health and safety, demonstrating good reason) then the best idea if it's 30 yards and less is for a headshot.

If you are in a hide and or walking around and you spot a pigeon and haven't an ample rest etc... then a armpit under the wing shot is preferable.

I wouldn't shoot one with a 12ft lb in the chest direct especially if in garden in case it flies off and dies in neighbours garden or land and stuff "can I get my ball back please" type phrases avoided.

Personally, I head shoot them out to 30 yards if from prone or very steady and low wind. IF I'm on sticks, standing shot, kneeling etc... or if they are between 30-50 yards (I have a .22 FAC at 30ft lbs) then I go for armpit.

The other problem I have found with head shots, and this really only applies when decoying, is that they tend to flap around lots, do a few backward rolls and generally spread feathers everywhere before ending up on their backs. A good chest shot will have them drop where they were standing sometimes with wings out, this saves lots of faffing with picking up feathers and righting upturned birds and means incomming birds aren't put off from landing.

The other problem I have found with head shots, and this really only applies when decoying, is that they tend to flap around lots, do a few backward rolls and generally spread feathers everywhere before ending up on their backs. A good chest shot will have them drop where they were standing sometimes with wings out, this saves lots of faffing with picking up feathers and righting upturned birds and means incomming birds aren't put off from landing.

Good point - a great many believe that a head shot means instant and absolute death, this simply is not the case though, granted even a low powered pellet smack bang in the right part of the head will be final but a glancing blow especially to the less vital areas of the cranium (or beak for those who think head is clean hit or miss) will not be quite as Hollywood. I'm sure others have experienced retrieving the odd pigeon on the outside of your decoys that you thought was dead only to find the thing huddled up with a pellet clean through the middle of it's head.

As you can see there are lots of answers to this. I prefer side on or chest( breast bone) shots.mainly as I favour the superior calibre of .177 ( wait for abuse) so penetration isn't an issue. I do take head shots when the are the best option. Now I'm far from sniper class but I can't recall any flying away after being hit. I have been the victim of the yips before and missed the head but everyone to the body has fallen clean.