The sitter (Fox)

Dougy

Out again last night on my new patch, hopefully will increase fingers crossed.

I got up to my usual lazy trick of flask of hot coffee big coat gloves and woolly hat put call out around 100 or so yards then sit and wait in the back of the pick-up.

After around 1/2 an hour of just chilling out (it was quite cold too) i changed the call from a hare to a distressed rabbit then waited again, a few sips of coffee and checking round with Mr Archer i spotted some brighter than normal eyes in the distance, it was either a Hare i had seen previously or Mr Reynard .

Coffee down Archer mounted on the scope and bit more light on the eyes :yes: Mr Fox it was, but sat out at an unknown distance on its backside it had to be nearly 300yards

just under a big Oak, not budging, not for nothing i turned down the volume on the caller to see if that would shift it but no, it then decided to have a lie down which it did for around 15 minutes not budging, i didn't want to take the shot, i'm not saying it was not do'able just that i don't like missing them, but then who does ??? the distance was hard one to judge, it was a new patch that i hadn't measured up previously. I took the Archer off the scope and scanned round for any other interest, plus another slurp of coffee.

I then checked back on the Fox under the tree, still there, was it staying there all night or what, i changed the call to a distressed crow and added the rabbit squeak

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: It moved, it sat up, then lay back down again, :lol::lol: i thought stuff this i'll get my lazy butt out and stalk it. Then it must have got a bit of a wet belly because it decided it was now going to play ball :yes: I increased the volume, then decreased it, it worked :good: it curled round to my left getting down wind of the call, this had to be the most cautious Fox i've had using this call. It showed interest from start and i didnt want to loose it and use any other call to try and coax it nearer.

It did eventually get into a safe position to take the shot at around 140yards very close to were the 2 vixens i took last week were shot.

In the end it took around an hour to get this clever Dog Fox, patience payed off in the end

post-2987-0-67346400-1393492524_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dougy