winter rape

ZAC

Hiya,can someone help dispel my ignorance about rape :huh: .i know rape is harvested around august but also know there is a winter type.can someone tell me what the differences are between the 2 and what months each is worth shooting over.Thanks

when you find a season in front of a crop it gernerally means that the crop is drilled in that season..

it will be fine to shoot on if the pigeons are feeding on it. they normally feed on rape after longer cold spells as they dont like the taste of the fresh rape.

winter rape was sown back in September in some cases but mostly later. Spring rape has yet to be sown. At this time of year the birds will keep patches of rape low and return to feed on it again and again. They tend to avoid the higher, well grown stuff.

Problem is large flocks, in some cases 1000's, mean one shot and they all b*gger off. Some might come back but then again they may not. It's a lottery at the moment but this hard weather is helping.

no pigeons about down here in kent either,hence my time at the pc.thanks for the info.so winter rape went in last harvest (sept).can anyone say when that gets cut and when the stuff cut in aug /sept is sown? im cold and need to dream of my barrels glowing!! :huh:

the best time to shoot on rape is and has to be after its combined and they are eating up all the seeds that land on the ground

so thats between combining and when the plough turns all the stubble and trash into the ground

never had a big day on it at this time of year myself but know of folk who have, its all about timing

ie what time of days they start feeding on rape and getting setup before they start coming in

spring rape is planted in the spring

winter rape is planted august/september

hope this helps cheer kirky