Out of season goose shooting

Just a quick question whilst reading up on out of season licences issued by SNH for pinks and greys.

It says " Licences cover the licence holder to shoot geese on his/her land and can also cover up to four persons authorised by the licence holder to shoot on his behalf. This allows simultaneous shooting by up to four people when several fields are at risk."

Now my question is, how do you define the 4 persons authorised? Is a simple word and mouth permission from said farmer enough? And the farmer fills out the details later? Or does your name and address have to be written in a slot prior to any shooting taking place?

Not wishing to get into the rights and wrongs of post season shooting. Just where you would legally stand.

Cheers!

if you have the licence you can instruct 4 sgc holders to help youon the times your shooting they dont need any paper work if anyone turns up one phone call to yourself to come to see whoevers there police /rspb etc job done

I would read it as three to help you at the time you're shooting, or four if you are not there.

One of the local farmers phoned me up the other day wondering if I would go on his licence and my needed my full name and address to go on the paper work.

Cheers for the reply! Any idea if this paper work is filled out before or after your shoot? It doesn't really say on the SNH website. I interpreted it as: If I go out, farmer makes a note of shooters details, date and what was shot. so say hypothetically I went out tomorrow, would I be okay and everything is documented after? OR does it have to be all filled out before any shooting takes place?

Many Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

also they can only be shot once they have landed on the crop NOT when flying over the crop

Not correct.

It says-

10. The sale of dead wild geese is illegal. Please remember that licences are only issued to

help you prevent crop damage. You should only shoot when vulnerable crops are at serious risk

of damage because significant numbers of geese have arrived, or are on the point of arriving, in

the fields. Shooting must only take place while in or close to, any fields at risk and should

supplement non-lethal scaring.

11. The licence does not allow you to shoot geese if they are not causing, or are not likely to

cause, serious damage to crops. For example, your licence would not allow shooting geese when

they are flighting to roost. If you do not keep to the terms and conditions of your licence, you risk

committing an offence and being prosecuted, your licence being revoked and refusal of any future

applications.