Pigeon flapper

Davyo

Cant help it evo, those crow decoys I copied of your work a treat by the way,made 26 for about £12.Same as these flappers they cost a lot less than the shop ones.One thing I have learnt doing this build is how much we are getting ripped off .I ordered a Uk motor at £11.99,and the one from China identical right down to the serial numbers.The China one cost £6.00.The motor I use on the flapper id a small unit I can get for £3.50.Oh,by the way the NV units still going great and doing the bizz.

glad to hear it mate, not had a chance to get out lately due to work commitments, up the wall at the mo but finished this weekend, thank god so I,ll get out next week with the wolverine and the NV after the bunnies

atb Evo

Had another rethink on the spike,not happy with it being a seperate piece so havd welded on a leg.Sorry for woody looking a bit scraggy,he's been my test pilot for the last three days.Have video footage on my phone but no idea how to upload it on here.

Link on youtube under davyo flapper mk1.

post-30855-0-20766900-1398626362_thumb.jpg

post-30855-0-38855600-1398626373_thumb.jpg

post-30855-0-83592000-1398626386_thumb.jpg

Edited by Davyo

Had another rethink on the spike,not happy with it being a seperate piece so havd welded on a leg.Sorry for woody looking a bit scraggy,he's been my test pilot for the last three days.Have video footage on my phone but no idea how to upload it on here.

Link on youtube under davyo flapper mk1.

Just finished the fourth flapper, total cost for 4 including batteries and timers £83.14 Edited by Davyo

Hi Davyo, looking good, out of curiousity have you got a link to the timer you have used ? Might have a go, thinking on the lines mechanically similar, but on the ground spike shaft, using a project box for speed controller,timer, and wireless transmitter on/off, powered by a li-ion battery, A fully self contained unit so to speak, or stick to a regular build for cost? Will have to have to give it a good coat of looking at...

Hi Davyo, looking good, out of curiousity have you got a link to the timer you have used ? Might have a go, thinking on the lines mechanically similar, but on the ground spike shaft, using a project box for speed controller,timer, and wireless transmitter on/off, powered by a li-ion battery, A fully self contained unit so to speak, or stick to a regular build for cost? Will have to have to give it a good coat of looking at...

REBBECAFULLMARKS on ebay you will get a timer and a speed control for £17.00.Free delivery tracked.The service is excellent, I get loads of stuff from them delivery is very quick.

that is spot on mate saved a few £££££ to which always good

HERE IT IS

Thanks for uploading for me mate,i have been shooting today with 2 flappers,the one on the vid and 1 with a larger motor .I favour the larger as there is no noise from it(the small motor does make a noise as in the vid but nothing that you can hear from the hide)

Both motors are 12v 300rpm units but my choice is the bigger motor which I will be using on all future builds.

• 4 months later...

Motors off the bay, I found a UK supplier but a tad expensive, but if you wait for the slow boat they are a 3rd of the price,ebay item 141401424089.Use mine all the time, never fails to pull em in.

Oh davyo . . . What have you started here ........... Matts off to the shed after one quick ebay purchase . . . . . . . . . top work mate !

Could i please just ask how is the motor attached to the ground spike i cannot make it out on video mate , and is the motor in the vid the one that the link takes you to on ebay as it says its based in somerset ??????? I am prob being a total plank here and missed something .................................. im intrigued to ask what have you made the wing bars out of that come of the motor , im struggling to poss think of a connection to use to make it fit , if you get my drift ?

Pics of the bigger motor,along side the small motor.I should of taken a bit more care on the finish,but they do what i wanted to do and they work.Everything was made from stuff lying around my man shed(steel rods ext),the only things purchased was motors,timers & batteries.I didn't have any plans ,i just went with it based on the FF4,i found it easier to have a couple of dead pigeons and used them for measuring ext if you get my drift.The test bird in the vid was a little stinky and raggy and doesn't do the movement justice.

I was intending to make better housing for the motors (similar to the housing on the small motor)and work on the cam once tests were finished,but i just keep using them,plus the intension was to keep the cost down & make 4 flappers including batteries and timers for under £100.

post-30855-0-53032400-1410380770_thumb.jpg

post-30855-0-75143500-1410380784_thumb.jpg

post-30855-0-17971000-1410380801_thumb.jpg

post-30855-0-74263800-1410380827_thumb.jpg

post-30855-0-53673300-1410380853_thumb.jpg

Edited by Davyo

I went with height adjustment at 1st as you could adjust the wing movement depending on where the motor was set.But then on the second flapper decided to make it static.The brass bit on the cowl, is a connecter from inside an electric conti block (biggest I had lying about).To be honest this was ment to be temp just to get it working,but it hasn't failed at this point yet so haven't bothered to look at something elses.

I am going to look at getting something to slide the motor in, poss some black waste pipe, this will tidy it up a bit.

Edited by Davyo

Well after super gluing some of the plastic waste pipe to my hand for 30mins i managed sort the housing out for the motor.It fitted very tight into 40mm waste pipe(had to sand inside the pipe & pressure fit it using a vice) The jubilee clips let it down a bit but at least i can change a motor if one fails).

Well the posties just arrived with some 5inch LCD monitors,so quick cuppa and its back into the man shed to knock up some Spotters (wife thinks I'm doing house work & getting the shopping in lol)

Thank you Greenhorn for donating the waste pipe theres a flapper here for you.

post-30855-0-30557500-1410517550_thumb.jpg

post-30855-0-49284300-1410517582_thumb.jpg

post-30855-0-58219500-1410517598_thumb.jpg

post-30855-0-78459900-1410517612_thumb.jpg

post-30855-0-55030600-1410517630_thumb.jpg

post-30855-0-30993200-1410517645_thumb.jpg

Edited by Davyo

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi sorry if I have missed the link but could you send me the link or how to purchase the motor you use ! Much appreciated as I am definitely going to make 1 ! I have been thinking of making one of these for ages and a massive thank you for all your info, pics and vids you sent :good: