'LOOSE' bolt on my AA S400

lakeside1000

Hi all, anyone help, I recently acquired my slightly used Air Arms S400 .177 single shot rifle, I've used it a fair bit over the last few weeks and have noticed what in my mind is a fault, when you cock the bolt , drop in the pellet and close the bolt , the bolt itself seems very loose and on several occasions when lifting into the firing position I've just knocked the underside of the bolt which has moved it into the opening position, Twice I've not noticed this has happened and when the trigger is pulled the bolt blows back releasing the air into my face, not a pleasant sensation,

Question is should the bolt have some sort of spring loading or latching position which would hold the bolt in place until slightly more force is applied to release.

At the moment almost a breath of wind would lift the bolt. I should add there is no side play in the bolt and no air leakage when firing in the fully closed position.

Any ideas please, many thanks for your time :yes::yes:

Edited by lakeside1000

Hi Lakeside1000,

I have the exact same gun, pre anti tamper s400 and nothing holds the bolt down on mine either, just a little friction of the 'O' ring. Maybe that needs replacing on yours, mine certainly won't lift even if I hold the gun inverted but is easily moved by hand. I'm not 100% sure on this but I think if you fire the loaded gun with the bolt unlocked, the air vents backwards towards you and leaves the pellet in the gun. Don't think it's shot the pellet and load another..!! Re-cock the gun and safely fire it again.

The Air Arms Owners Club is a very good informative site for advice, parts and info.

Atb.......David....... :good:

Edited by David M