Yesterday mornings outing

Here's a few photos of yesterdays morning out....with me and my cousin. We were up and at it at first light, and with a bacon butty and coffee down our necks, off we went...and it was a cold 'un' at minus 5, but we did have a good fews hours sport.

We were ratting with the smoker, at managed to get 8 all in all. To be honest that should have 48, but the young terrier could see the rats for the smoke, which also made it difficult to shoot.....One tried to make good its escape into a horthorn hedge, but as you can see........it failed!! :yes::good: :yp:

The lurcher nailed a couple at close quarters, and bella, (the terrier) did a great job of marking the burries..... :/

After a couple of hours on the rats, we movd into the woods with the ferrets, and managed 5 rabbits, 2 to the lurcher, 1 dug, and 2 bolted and shot by me......All in a really great morning.....

I took Harvey, my new 15 wk old ESS pup with us, infact it was his only second outing outside the garden. He was great, stayed close, mucked about with the other dogs, (even pulled a rat of the terrier and gave it a wee shake) and wasn't bothered in the slightest about the 12b going off over his head. post-1280-1170665588.jpgpost-1280-1170665572.jpgpost-1280-1170665605.jpgpost-1280-1170665624.jpg

a few more pictures! :good:post-1280-1170665734.jpgpost-1280-1170665755.jpgpost-1280-1170665773.jpg

and a few more!post-1280-1170665834.jpgpost-1280-1170665860.jpgpost-1280-1170665878.jpg

and finally!!!

post-1280-1170665956.jpg post-1280-1170665972.jpgpost-1280-1170665997.jpg

Paul, letting you springer have warm 'game' and allowing it to shake it is asking for trouble mate

Yes Scott, I hear what you're saying about the shaking, but it certianly isn't behavour that I will advocate and encourage in the pup, as that clearly isn't why I got him.......................he was just momentarily playing

I have been a life long lurcher and terrier man and have trained many dogs, but this is the very first 'gun dog' I have owned or attempted to train.

I know that you mentioned in another post mate, that a young dogs shouldn't be anywhere near game.... but I wonder why you think this?

surely if basic training is going well, then the earlier they get used to fur and feather the better?...

I will have to concede to the majority of opinions on this subject, as I no- no diffierent....... however, getting pups out and about at an early age has never cause any problems for any of the other dogs I've trained, abiet for different purposes...............infact the lurcher, would probably make a better picking up - or peg than dog than most out there.

I don't want this topic to become a protracted debate on how to train gun dogs as I only wanted to show a fews photos.......just wonder why this is such a no - no?

Cheers

Paul

There are two schools of thinking on this mate, the American way, in which dogs are exposed early to game (not every American by the way) and most peoples method of introducing much later 7-8 months onwards. Yuor pup's only 3-4 months old mate, let it be a pup. Gradual training from dummy, to feathers on dummy, to cold game, to fresh game is what most people use. I don't know why but all of the DVDs anbd books I have have suggested this method.

tidy looking dog to mate what cross is it

there are both belters mate: :whistling:

the lurcher:- (stig) he's 3/4 greyhound 1/4 bull cross, and @ 2 years old he's just starting to come into his own.......he's nailing between 8-12 rabbits on a lamping session. We took Heppy off PW with us one night, I think he was quite amazed at how well he worked on the lamp for a youngish dog....

Alot of folk think this breed is too bulky for rabbits, and at 27" he's a big lad.....but boy, can he work them........got to watch him though as he can find the scent of a furry little thing with anlters anywhere, and once he gets a wiff he's away. :lookaround::lookaround:

The terrier:-

Was bought in Ireland (bella) she's a patterdale english bull cross from excelent working stock. Believe it or not she's only 9 months old, and works like a seasoned pro.....excellent nose, marks well, and is fearless...

................the A-Team :thanks: