colour vision

fletcher1004

I found out this week that due to being colour blind (colour perception level 4) I'm not going to be able to continue doing a job i enjoy. I'm a Military Unmanned Air Systems pilot instructor. I've been flying various Military systems for almost 10 years now and have logged over a thousand hours of operational flying time in Iraq & Afghanistan.

The irony is that it wasn't until i moved to ground handling operations for the new "Watchkeeper" aircraft that my colour vision problem was identified when applying for an airfield driving permit. Ive never had any difficulty in identifying the colour of things in the past, apparently i can't differentiate between green and white but i can tell you that grass is green and clouds are white, and i can see the difference between cricket players and the pitch they are playing on just like anybody else. but what i can't see is the difference between coloured LED lights.

All thats left to do now is find another job i fancy having a go at and hope i can still meet my career promotion timelines in order to progress as well as i was doing.

they couldnt get their heads around i wore glasses but had colour perception 1 and retested me 3 times.u wear glasses how can u read all the book,because i can .strange peeps army opticians.only ever had colour blindness tests in germany .they didnt do it for medical b4 joining or at basic training only when i got to germany,and didnt beleive i could read all the numbers in the dotty book as a glasses wearing person.good luck with whatever they come up with for you .surely u can still teach

Edited by clakk