Help with retrieve

henry_o

Hi everyone. I wondered if anyone could help me with my springer's retrieving. The training has been progressing steadily and surely over the past few months. The pup is now 9 months old. She has an undercut jaw but I knew this when I bought her after regularly seeing her parents in the field (neither parent has a jaw issue).

I did a lot of research before getting her, and my book on hand is 'training spaniels' by Joe Irving. Training has been coming along well until a few weeks ago. The pup started to chew the dummy before bringing it back to me on the recall. I didn't over do the number of retrieves, normally 1 or 2 and sometimes 3. The first retrieve would often be perfect but I don't know if she now thinks I'm going to always be taking her trophy but she doesn't seem to want to bring it back as readily as before. She picks the dummy up perfectly and might get half way back then drop it and start chewing the top of the dummy where the string attaches. This all seemed to happen after introducing frozen game (pigeons, rabbit). As with the dummy some retrieves were perfect until she realised she could chew it. I've been giving a stern 'no' when I see her starting to chew but I'm afraid it'll put her off retrieving altogether.

To try and rectify it I'm teaching her the hold command sat in front of me and have gone back to the dummy and using it in the house where there is no way for her to run off and chew! Do you have any ideas that could help us? I don't know if the undercut jaw is the issue? She likes to have something in her mouth constantly, such as sticks and blocks if wood. Whilst typing this I know she hasn't had any bones to chew for a few weeks now and maybe this is a contributing factor? She's is on a part barf diet supplemented with skinners dry food. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Henry

What your doing to correct this in the house sounds good for starters, no more of the other just yet and get her out in other areas when she is ok in the home. Was the dog perfect before the frozen stuff? Did it chow down on one? Why did you choose buy a dog with an undershot jaw?

Edited by kent

Thanks for the replies. I've been backing away to try and get her to catch up with me a bit but only a few meters. Will try this method but going further away faster. Re the jaw, I wanted a bitch from her parents, and she was the only one. The others were dogs. She was also the most inquisitive and active and I wanted those traits. The timing had to be right too as with my job I had a certain period of down time to be able to spend time on the dog and the litter came just right.

The retrieves were getting there before the intro of frozen game, yes. She would sometimes drop it prematurely in front of me at my feet but was 95% of the time it was perfect.

Thanks

Edited by henry_o

Sometimes difficult to give exact cause of problem or cure on a forum without seeing the dog.one thing I have done with my 3 dogs if there is any slight problem on retreiving is take them out and work on some other types of training. I have found giving a dog a break can make them keen again . I agree with bazooka no chewing sticks she has to learn any object she picks up is be brought back to you and not to be played with hope that helps

Hi everyone. I wondered if anyone could help me with my springer's retrieving. The training has been progressing steadily and surely over the past few months. The pup is now 9 months old. She has an undercut jaw but I knew this when I bought her after regularly seeing her parents in the field (neither parent has a jaw issue).

I did a lot of research before getting her, and my book on hand is 'training spaniels' by Joe Irving. Training has been coming along well until a few weeks ago. The pup started to chew the dummy before bringing it back to me on the recall. I didn't over do the number of retrieves, normally 1 or 2 and sometimes 3. The first retrieve would often be perfect but I don't know if she now thinks I'm going to always be taking her trophy but she doesn't seem to want to bring it back as readily as before. She picks the dummy up perfectly and might get half way back then drop it and start chewing the top of the dummy where the string attaches. This all seemed to happen after introducing frozen game (pigeons, rabbit). As with the dummy some retrieves were perfect until she realised she could chew it. I've been giving a stern 'no' when I see her starting to chew but I'm afraid it'll put her off retrieving altogether.

To try and rectify it I'm teaching her the hold command sat in front of me and have gone back to the dummy and using it in the house where there is no way for her to run off and chew! Do you have any ideas that could help us? I don't know if the undercut jaw is the issue? She likes to have something in her mouth constantly, such as sticks and blocks if wood. Whilst typing this I know she hasn't had any bones to chew for a few weeks now and maybe this is a contributing factor? She's is on a part barf diet supplemented with skinners dry food. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Henry

The dog was bringing the item back so you need to clean the slate. First of all find out exactly why the dog stopped returning the item ( my guess is that you let her p f*rt about with wood and sticks to chew on) and once you have nailed the reason why, plan a way to tackle the problem.Starting again with a tennis ball if she's happy with that. You should understand though, it has nothing to do with the item (dummy etc) but everything to do with how you are training her. Once you find the reason or reasons for her behaviour only then restart the training the retrieve with something she enjoys to retrieve with. Don't let her clart around with anything in her mouth when you are with her.

I agree, use a tennis ball first ,if that goes well rather than go to a larger dummy I would use 2 tennis balls in a sock, then 3 to replicate a larger dummy! Plus don't let her muck about with bits of wood etc and dog needs to be very good on dummies and basic training before introducing cold game. Always remember you're the governor and be strict with the dog, give an inch, they take a yard,give a yard they take a mile is true with most dogs

Thanks for the input guys. It's all much appreciated and shows what the forum is for. Re the sticks, all branches and twigs are out of the garden now. Will be on too of her of she finds stuff to chew! A friend also gave me some good advice after watching me with her the other day. He spectated from a distance whilst training her. I threw the dummy, *bang*, dog was steady sat there marking the fall. Then on command went to fetch and I was praising her whilst she was picking it up. He told me to shut up on the next one until she was back at my feet. Sure enough she retrieved it all the way to hand perfectly, and then gained the fuss. Hoping removing sticks and such will also go towards helping. I'll go back to tennis balls and work up again too I think to ensure everything is right before proceeding.

Thanks for your help!