Caught speeding - advice

djrwood

You can always go slower and surprisingly speed reduces your available room and time to react. Johnny hero, if one extrapolates some views on here, should apparently be entitled to do what he considers is a safe speed for the circumstances even if, because there is a speed limit, others expect him to be travelling at or close to that speed.

It isnt just the drivers who use speed limits its pedestrians, cyclists, other motorists etc. We simply have to have speed limits and having them has provided us (inter alia) with the lowest casualties in Europe per mile travelled, per head of population etc etc.

Ok you lot, keep your viewpoint, despite the facts other stake for granted. Just dont kill or injure someone in the pursuit of your 'freedoms' as you may not be able to live with it .

Didn't people in the 60's say the drink drive laws were ridiculously restrictive on personal freedoms (and seat belts)?

How do people feel now about drink /driving killings? 280 deaths per year is nearly one per day, even one of those involving anyone other than the drinker I personally find disgusting. Still, persue your own personal freedoms by all means.

How many lives have been saved by seat belts?

If we sacrifice a few freedoms for the sake of others - we also benefit. Sadly exceeding (properly set) speed limits carry penalties. Reasonably applied, how is that a problem?

I am now giving up.

Thanks Kes - in a nutshell you have got it totally right....

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nial, we have sacrificed the freedoms we need to to retain firearms IMO. I also agree that speed limtis must be properly set and enforced as I have said above. I dont disagree with your view on speed, but you are clearly restrained and thoughtful. Many are not and as a result a thousand are killed annually. If firearms owners were responsible for such a number of deaths, the call to ban private ownership would be irresistible and I would probably agree to it.

Needs bit of perspective does this? 4 x as many people are killed every year by falling off steps and ladders as are pedestrians being ran over FACT, and 4 x as many people die from simple falls and slips as do car drivers or passengers involved in road accidents FACT,seems its walking or climbing we should be banning.

KW

Needs bit of perspective does this? 4 x as many people are killed every year by falling off steps and ladders as are pedestrians being ran over FACT, and 4 x as many people die from simple falls and slips as do car drivers or passengers involved in road accidents FACT,seems its walking or climbing we should be banning.

I think the issue here is that if you fall off steps & ladders, it is YOUR OWN fault and no-one else is involved . What we are looking at here is innocent people being killed or injured, either as pedestrians or as drivers or passengers in vehicles by mindless idiots who just think that they can ignore the speed limits -

OK we all can think of places where a speed limit seems to be ridiculous and/or to drive at 80mph plus on a seemingly empty motorway appears to be OK but none of us are in possession of the full facts as to why a speed limit is in place - if we choose to ignore it and something goes wrong, then it will be on our consciences for the rest of our lives.

Whatever, we should not whinge if we get caught and try to find a get out of jail free card - so to speak...

Edited by woodcock11

KW

The obvious difference is you usually dont risk anyone else's life when falling of a ladder and you are entirely responsible for your own fate. Falls and slips are also down to the individual - no-one else can be involved. Both the other sports you mention are a personal choice. There is often a lot of criticism, and perhaps rightly so, when some nut goes walking doesnt check the weather is out in a blizzard and then puts the Mountain Rescue Team in danger unnecessarily.

Nothing is ever simple.

Edited by Kes