Trade secrets oil finish

cluais

Lads I've got the trade secrets pack for doing gun stock but it says on the instructions about raising the grain and removing the old finish,

This is my gun that I want to oil it's a beretta silver pigeon grade 3

Can I put the oil straight on or do I have to sand it down

post-18212-0-90171700-1401833042_thumb.jpg

I did my rifle recently. I had to sand the stock because there was a thin layer of varnish on it. But by sanding it back to the bare wood, I also removed any small dents as well. I applied the stain to the wood, but did'nt like that, so bought a different walnut stain that gave a darker finish. After completing the task, I can't say that I am 100% pleased with it, but that's probably to do with me and not the product.

The main thing is to take you time.

Ya it's not a lacquer finish I've taken that off guns before,it must be an oil finish from beretta from day one

There is 3 bottles of oil in the pack

Ts-95 oil

Alkanet oil

Rapid oil

Would it be ok to put on the alkanet oil now or will this make any difference to the stock as it is now in the picture

Ya it's not a lacquer finish I've taken that off guns before,it must be an oil finish from beretta from day one

There is 3 bottles of oil in the pack

Ts-95 oil

Alkanet oil

Rapid oil

Would it be ok to put on the alkanet oil now or will this make any difference to the stock as it is now in the picture

If it is an oil finish .I would give it a light rub down with fine wire wool and then apply the oil in lots of thin coats . Rub it in with the palm of your hand until you feel the heat build up from the friction .

Harnser

I remove the finish on my 682 limited edition last week with some 1200 grit sand paper and some of the TS-95 oil, then some 00000 wirer wool. Been putting coats on, up to about 10 light ones rubbed in, looking good except few shiny spots from where I have not removed the finish fully so its back out with the fine sand paper and wire wool to correct and start again, was looking good.