Lamping Foxes

Cakie174

Hi

We have been over run with foxes on a new shoot that we took last year. On sunday past we took out eight missed eight and assume that as many went to ground while we were flushing them.

Recently we have started lamping in the evenings and my question is.

What are the best times for locating basil and how does these times change over the year.

Cakie

Cakie, I would highly recommend Robert Bucknell's book, especially for a novice foxer. It is packed with interesting facts, useful information and stories about many forms of fox control, not just night shooting. At first glance £30 does seem a bit steep for a soft cover book but I think you'll find it well worth it. If you are on a tight budget, why not get it from the library?

A few years back the Game Conservancy did some radio tracking of foxes. They found that foxes tended to be most active in the hours just after sunset, with a period of relative inactivety around midnight on the longer winter nights building to another peak of activety just before first light.

In the real world fox activety depends on many factors such as weather conditions, time of year, disturbance, breeding cycle and so on. Some nights look perfect and turn out to be ****, other times you can go out for hours without seeing anything and then shoot three on the way home, just the way it goes. If it was too easy it wouldn't be any fun.

Q :)

• 1 month later...