Ferrets

roadkill

This time of year the only real place to find ferrets is at a local rescue center, who either specialize in ferrets or who have them.

All ferrets work, wether working or not, just some better than others.

If you can wait till around june/july you will be able to pick up 2 kits as everyone breeds them.

Alex

I would wait until the summer and get a couple of young un's. The season is finished now.

Start with 2 young jills and handle them alot. You will have them working for the autumn.

Try your local game dealer or gun shops if you don't know anyone with with any. People often put adverts up at my game dealers for them. :)

Try looking on www.ferreting.biz

It's a good site and I'm a member of the National Ferreter's Register. :D

FM :)

I'm also looking into getting a couple of ferrets. We have an old shed I can convert into a large house and will also build an outdoor run for them.

Just need to spend from now until june/July researching and learning about their care.

I notice someone else on this thread said to get two Jills, are these preffered to hobs or is it a persoanl opinion?

thanks,

/Mad

Its horses for courses, i work both jills and hobs, i find hobs stay with the rabbits more and bolt them easier than jills.

If anything hobs are easier to look after than jills as jills need to be taken out of season every year by either a vascetomised hob, a jill jab from the vets or breeding. Whereas hobs either need to be castrated or separated or they will start to bonk n fight one another.

Alex

I agree it is "horses for courses" I also work 2 Jills and 2 Hobs. I do tend to put in big burys the two Jills and then a hob if it goes quiet for a very long time.

In several books I have on Ferrets they tend to say Jills work their way through the burys quicker but some times too quick and miss out on checking out all the bury. Hobs tend to plod along and check every nook and cranny! But with out sticking my head down the hole I can only vouch for generally getting the Jills flushing rabbits out really quick and then when they come out I've tried putting a hob down and sometimes i've got another rabbit out so there may be some truth or reasoning behind it!!

Its horses for courses, i work both jills and hobs, i find hobs stay with the rabbits more and bolt them easier than jills.

If anything hobs are easier to look after than jills as jills need to be taken out of season every year by either a vascetomised hob, a jill jab from the vets or breeding. Whereas hobs either need to be castrated or separated or they will start to bonk n fight one another.

Alex