Shotgun Detachable Magazine on Enfield Conversion?

Hi folks,

I think this is my first post on the forums here, but I've been a member in a while and often come here for advice. Have just moved this from Guns & Equipment as feel its more suited here...

It is from reading a very old forum on here that I felt the need to ask a question now in relation to the laws on shotguns and detachable magazines.

I recently acquired an Enfield No. 4 Mk1 sporterized, converted to a .410. It has all the appropriate proof marks on it for its conversion to a shotgun as well as a certificate of magazine restiriction and stamps from the proof house.

However, the quandry I am in is that a metal plate has been welded into place in the breech to allow only one cartridge to be inserted at a time (and this welded feeder plate has been stamped) but the magazine is still detachable from underneath the plate. Obviously, there is no possible way of feeding the shotgun from its original (or any other) magazine; but does it still having a removable (even though useless) magazine, put it in the section one category.

A note I feel i should mention is that the magazine restriction was completed by the proof house in 1992.

Any responses will be very welcome to put my mind at ease; I am taking her up to Bisley tomorrow for a gunsmiths opinion on a slightly useless ejector so will clarify with them also, but for now, please do contribute!

Many thanks in advance,

Mike Hudson

Thanks very much for the sppedy response. I presumed this was the case, as its has the appropriate stamping and certificates but was just a tad concerned.

The other issues with the gun (which may arise due to it being previously owned by a collector and not a 'shooter') is that when I load a cartridge into the breech, it becomes stuck... I think this may be some grime in the breech causing it to get jammed in?? But any thoughts?

Also, it doesn't eject... I am taking to Bisley tomorrow for a proper look but can anyone with experience of enfield bolts tell me if the bolt and ejector look knackered?

post-69044-0-06408300-1403032792_thumb.jpeg

post-69044-0-51589600-1403032828_thumb.jpeg

post-69044-0-06337200-1403032832_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Mikeshudson

Thanks very much for the sppedy response. I presumed this was the case, as its has the appropriate stamping and certificates but was just a tad concerned.

The other issues with the gun (which may arise due to it being previously owned by a collector and not a 'shooter') is that when I load a cartridge into the breech, it becomes stuck... I think this may be some grime in the breech causing it to get jammed in?? But any thoughts?

Also, it doesn't eject... I am taking to Bisley tomorrow for a proper look but can anyone with experience of enfield bolts tell me if the bolt and ejector look knackered?

NO ejector on them photos...just an EXTRACTOR

The ejector is on the left side of the receiver, on the inside edge. Held in place by a small screw.

Want a photo?

Talking of photos....I'd be interested in one of the receiver on your No.4 as mine has no plate in it that allows fitting of a cosmetic-only magazine, just a welded plate in trigger guard gap.

Many thanks for further replies.

Saddler, I would love a picture please. The extractor does not grip the cartridge 95% of the time I pull the bolt out, and when it does, the expended cartridge is not thrown out..........

Here are further pictures....

Any further info I could gte would be great as well... Been looking out for one of these since the licence came through but would love to know more about this gun in particular as I'm pretty sure it wasn't one of the ones converted in India for the brass .303 converted to .410 cartridges...

post-69044-0-26584900-1403038639_thumb.jpeg

post-69044-0-78906200-1403038639_thumb.jpeg

post-69044-0-42153900-1403038640_thumb.jpeg

post-69044-0-82287000-1403038640_thumb.jpeg

post-69044-0-29661000-1403038641_thumb.jpeg

post-69044-0-79475900-1403038641_thumb.jpeg

post-69044-0-25149800-1403038642_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Mikeshudson

Many thanks for further replies.

Saddler, I would love a picture please. The extractor does not grip the cartridge 95% of the time I pull the bolt out, and when it does, the expended cartridge is not thrown out..........

Here are further pictures....

Any further info I could gte would be great as well... Been looking out for one of these since the licence came through but would love to know more about this gun in particular as I'm pretty sure it wasn't one of the ones converted in India for the brass .303 converted to .410 cartridges...

THIS part...

post-69044-0-78906200-1403038639.jpeg

...shows the outside of the ejector area; the screw that holds it in.

The inside area of this, there should be a small spring clip.

As to the extractor riding the rim of the case...

What ammo are you using?

I make my own 410 fodder, from once fired 303 cases.

Fire formed to fit the chamber. Work a treat.

IF you have access to an empty 303 case try it & see if it extracts.

Otherwise, try a different make of 410 case.

It may also be a weak extractor spring, or a spring that is full of 7 decades of gunk.

Try stripping it to clean out the gunk...or if you cannot strip it use an ultrasonic bath cleaner

Thanks for the info - I'm certain it is a weak or completely knackered (or non-existant) extractor spring as the extractor itself is easily moved (wobbled...).

Gunsmiths should determine this tomorrow.

As far as the use of .303 brass cartridges, it says on the mag restriction cert that its .410 x 3" so I presume its be converted for modern carts?

RE: the receiver, the plate thats in there stops the magazine from locking in place, but the magazine 'friction fits' all but a millimetre or two short of fully in the magazine housing as far as I can tell... The seller told me that he opted for the plate (rather than blocking the housing with a wooden plug) so the magazine could still be inserted for aesthetic purposes, but from what I can tell, it doesn't go in enough to lock.

Well I am up there tomorrow and in no hurry whatsoever.

Have been told to pop in and I'll be taken through to Gordon for a chat... If he's too busy to help (completely understandable), I am sure they won't mind my enquiring at fultons afterwards!

Many thanks for all your help... Just out of curiousity, what is the perception of these conversions? Are the ishapore conversions better than ones done in later life? Are the original or sportized ones nicer and or better to shoot? And with no choking, are they **** for using on the odd bit of vermin?