iphone 5c

Davyo

I'm 50, and I know what malware is. :D

Had a 4S for a few year and think it is nearly as good as a laptop for what it can do.

I was reluctant to upgrade to a 5 as they are a bit bigger in height and wasn't sure I wanted that (I like to button my pocket)

Decided to go for it now but want a 5S rather than a 5C tbh.

If it is just calls an texts you want then a much cheaper phone is by far the sensible option. If you want to use apps, email, internet etc then a smartphone is a very powerful tool. I wouldn't want to be without mine now.

Have to admit a fair amount of the stuff I do is trivial such as facebook and forums but there is an awful lot of information right at your fingertips when you want it.

The built in maps and route finder is at least as good as my Garmin satnav in my car for one example.

I am even doing live updates of the daily NI contributions to HMRC via mine (I have a lot of "casual" labour) using the numbers app.

I honestly think you are only limited by your own imagination as to how much use they can be put to. Doesn't suit everybody and every lifestyle but that isn't the fault of the phone.

I'm 50, and I know what malware is. :D

Had a 4S for a few year and think it is nearly as good as a laptop for what it can do.

I was reluctant to upgrade to a 5 as they are a bit bigger in height and wasn't sure I wanted that (I like to button my pocket)

Decided to go for it now but want a 5S rather than a 5C tbh.

If it is just calls an texts you want then a much cheaper phone is by far the sensible option. If you want to use apps, email, internet etc then a smartphone is a very powerful tool. I wouldn't want to be without mine now.

Have to admit a fair amount of the stuff I do is trivial such as facebook and forums but there is an awful lot of information right at your fingertips when you want it.

The built in maps and route finder is at least as good as my Garmin satnav in my car for one example.

I am even doing live updates of the daily NI contributions to HMRC via mine (I have a lot of "casual" labour) using the numbers app.

I honestly think you are only limited by your own imagination as to how much use they can be put to. Doesn't suit everybody and every lifestyle but that isn't the fault of the phone.

+1

I was in the queue when the first iPhones came out and I'm still using one now. A simple to use powerful tool, wouldn't be without one. Somebody gave me a HTC something or other to try and yes it mostly did much the same thing but was way too over complicated and fussy.

My 5s is a great phone, until about 3 o'clock in the afternoon when the battery dies.

I can't understand why apple released a new phone with such a poor battery life, especially when it's compared to its predecessor. My 4 lasted a couple of days at least!

Wouldn't be without it tho.

JF

I agree about the battery life. Sees to affect all smartphones. I'd gladly take a 50% thicker phone for 100% more runtime.

Just a note on the satnav in the phone - try the Waze app. Fantastic stuff, and even gives turn by turn voice prompts through my car Bluetooth hands free. It s free.

I agree about the battery life. Sees to affect all smartphones. I'd gladly take a 50% thicker phone for 100% more runtime.

Just a note on the satnav in the phone - try the Waze app. Fantastic stuff, and even gives turn by turn voice prompts through my car Bluetooth hands free. It s free.

The waze app,does it require you to use your providers network,or is there a gps in the android phone???

The waze app,does it require you to use your providers network,or is there a gps in the android phone???

It uses GPS - but yes, it also uses data so you have to be connected to the network. From what I read, it uses about 200-500mb a month for heavy users (i.e. taxis). No problem on 'unlimited' data. I only use it occasionally as I usually know where i'm going :) . The nice thing about Waze is that it crowd-sources traffic and hold-up info which is quite handy to route you efficiently.

Read more here: https://www.waze.com/

I sent my first 5c back after a couple of days stating the battery life rendered the phone not fit for purpose. The second 5c developed a faulty (did nothing) home button. Both were 32g versions.

I called up and made a stink, asked them to send me a 5s on the same deal and make sure it's a 32g version. They wanted an extra £270 for the 32g so they sent me a 16g instead. I lost interest by this point and just wanted a phone.

For whatever reason a new 32g 5s turned up and I still have it a month or so later. Battery life is still **** tho.

Experts advise switching off Bluetooth, 3G and roaming to save battery life. I may as well have my 10 year old Nokia in my pocket if that's the case.

JF

Switching off roaming or 3g won't make much difference. If you don't use Bluetooth, switching that off will make a small difference to battery life. For sure my 10 year old nokia is better - I used to charge that every 2 weeks. My current 5c I charge once a day, or if i'm at work, i leave it plugged into the charger.

What are you comparing the battery life to? Previous iPhones, or a different smartphone all together?

Network selection can make a difference - if your network doesn't have a mast nearby, then it will use more power when you call or to just stay connected to the network. Modifying how your e-mail checks for new mail can also help with battery life as can setting your screen brightness appropriately. Battery life in all smartphones sucks big time. I think i've said before - i'd take a 50% thicker phone for 100% more battery life.