A little ID help required

busa2003

Evening all,

I after a little help digging up some info on a shotgun I have been gifted (long story!!)

It is a double barrel 12g, single trigger, ejector stamped with the following

Fabrique Nationale Herstal

Special steel 2 3/"

What does anyone know of these? I don't really get on with it so looking to value at some point and move on

Cheers

+1 with Fenboy, FN made a brilliant version of the .762 rifle used by armed forces all over the world. The British Army had them, (and may still have a few !!), the rifle was great, I know, I used them. I think they were withdrawn by some EU law because of the calibre or foot/poundage issue. It was always called a "Belgian FN" if it was an original and not a copy.

Edited by moorvale55

+1 with Fenboy, FN made a brilliant version of the .762 rifle used by armed forces all over the world. The British Army had them, (and may still have a few !!), the rifle was great, I know, I used them. I think they were withdrawn by some EU law because of the calibre or foot/poundage issue. It was always called a "Belgian FN" if it was an original and not a copy.

Think they were withdrawn as they were 7.62 ca, (308 in civvey terms), thoughts at the time was that 5.56 (223) was preferable for 2 main reasons, a, a squaddie can carry more rounds, and b, an enemy hit by a 223 is likely to be incapicated rather than killed with a 308, therefore that ties up 4 or 5 of his mates to look after him.

Interestingly the 7.62cal was at one point re introduced as a sniper rifle in semi auto format to combat the longer reach weapons of the Taliban.

http://www.eliteukforces.info/weapons/l129a1-sharpshooter/

A

Fabrique Nationale is the modern day Browning , the special steel part just refers to the steel used to make the barrel , not that it is proofed for steel shot.

Is it?

I thought FN pre-dated Browning by a good few years!

Which European firm did John Browning travel to following the death of his normal American contact?

If memory serves FN now own Browning , even the American Browning Arms Corporation is a independent subsidiary . F N made a number of side by side guns that are not Browning's but are often mistakenly called so. Early B25 models were only marked as Browning for the US market and were sold under the Fabrique Nationale banner in Europe . I have number 31 in the shop at present , no mention of Browning .

More detail is required to give a better comment on the gun you have .