Winchester subsonic ballistic coefficient .22lr

I don't seem to have any problems with winnies at the moment. I've often head shot rabbits out to 80m with no problems. All depends on wind speed. My rifle is zeroed to 60m. I often fill a load of plastic water bottles, draw targets on then, range them out and shoot from the top down to see where my bullets are hitting. great fun and gives a good clue on what's going on. just remember to take all your rubbish home afterwards.

Winchesters were my ammo of choice for many years,varied a little batch to batch but generally close to Eley(which also vary batch to batch)for accuracy & seeming to hit with more of a "thump".Within the last year,given 2 batches of Winchesters so inconsistent you could hear the difference round to round + so many that failed to fire,I now use RWS(less oomph) or SK(less expansion)rather than Winchesters.I wish i could still buy Winchesters with a chance of a reasonable consistency but sadly would take a lot of persuading to buy them again.Will retry Eley, CCi + whatever but I did this years ago & settled happily with Winchesters:seems APITA to do it again(& learn different ballistics) owing to poor quality control.

Winchesters were my ammo of choice for many years,varied a little batch to batch but generally close to Eley(which also vary batch to batch)for accuracy & seeming to hit with more of a "thump".Within the last year,given 2 batches of Winchesters so inconsistent you could hear the difference round to round + so many that failed to fire,I now use RWS(less oomph) or SK(less expansion)rather than Winchesters.I wish i could still buy Winchesters with a chance of a reasonable consistency but sadly would take a lot of persuading to buy them again.Will retry Eley, CCi + whatever but I did this years ago & settled happily with Winchesters:seems APITA to do it again(& learn different ballistics) owing to poor quality control.

I bet you judging expansion by size of cavity or quarry? I did in the past and its pointless, SK expand very well if you work only with recovered bullets and not guesses

Edited by kent

I bet you judging expansion by size of cavity or quarry? I did in the past and its pointless, SK expand very well if you work only with recovered bullets and not guesses

+1

It's been quite rightly said many times that the best rimfire round for anyone is the one that is most accurate in their rifle. That assumes that they function correctly - live rounds eject and not stick in the chamber, for example - are you listening, Eley?. Hitting the target with any choice of LR hunting round will do the job. It's worth trying the SK and should it prove accurate, it has the advantage of having a truly negligible SD so is consistent and at its advertised MV of some 1034 ft/sec in my experience is actually faster than the supposedly 1065 of the Winchester.

"I bet you judging expansion by size of cavity or quarry? I did in the past and its pointless, SK expand very well if you work only with recovered bullets and not guesses"

You would lose the bet:I judge by experience of "thump" & knockdown not guesses and as for recovered bullets from rabbits you must be kidding unless you are using the "texas heart shot".

Edited by drut

"I bet you judging expansion by size of cavity or quarry? I did in the past and its pointless, SK expand very well if you work only with recovered bullets and not guesses"

You would lose the bet:I judge by experience of "thump" & knockdown not guesses and as for recovered bullets from rabbits you must be kidding unless you are using the "texas heart shot".

I have recovered bullets from rabbits its rare but I have. I do a lot of testing into various mediums, if you want to see SK expanded I can e-mail pics. I have been on lapua and then the sk (same different pack) for over a deade 15 yrs at a guess. The most lethal terminals of any .22 is the CCI segmenting in my experience and yes THS tried with these and never seen such quick kills (not good on meat though), though I shouldn't hesitate to use target stuff (green tag are awesome at longer range than any accept in my rifle)

" I have recovered bullets from rabbits its rare but I have."

Ditto 3 examples from over 2000 rabbits,expanded bullets only come from sources of no consequence to me,rabbits shot through brain or sideways through chest : bullet passes through & only recovered if hits something else afterwards.As I shoot 80% brain shots I value SK accuracy but we will have disagree about their expansion if you are referring to chest shooting rabbits Winchester are more effective & CCi segs far more so(assuming you can hit the target area with either).

Ditto 3 examples from over 2000 rabbits,expanded bullets only come from sources of no consequence to me,rabbits shot through brain or sideways through chest : bullet passes through & only recovered if hits something else afterwards.As I shoot 80% brain shots I value SK accuracy but we will have disagree about their expansion if you are referring to chest shooting rabbits Winchester are more effective & CCi segs far more so(assuming you can hit the target area with either).

How can I argue with a wall, I offered to show you - you refused!

Do you mean 80% head shots

How can I argue with a wall, I offered to show you - you refused!

"Expand your knowledge

How did the selection of ammunition fare? In the penetration test, the RWS produced the least penetration, while the Lapua gave the most.

This can be explained as the Lapua was the second-fastest bullet tested and one of the lightest, which ordinarily would cause a rapid expansion, but the bullet was the hardest of all the bullets and therefore failed to expand well in these tests."

Read more at http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/ammunition/subsonic-22lr-ammunition-review#6BSJdp3Mp0pphyPs.99

Please show them!