new pup

rob shooter

Get a small treat in your hand ( I use cat biscuits for this or cubed pigs liver boiled or dried) show the dog and let him sniff the treat. Lower your hand to the floor saying (Dogs name and) Down. Once dog is down give treat and praise. Eventually just gesture down with hand and say down then treat praise once on floor. Gradually lessen the treats till just needs the command down and hand signal. I got even my daft red setter to do this.

Recipe for liver treats:

Get pigs liver and cut into small strips.

Drop in boiling water for 10 minutes.

Cool enough to handle and cut into small cubes.

Freeze in small amounts to use for training and defrost as needed.

Or to keep without freezing place spread out on a tray in oven at 100C for 2 hours to dry.

Check fully dried as it depends how big pieces are as to how long they need to dry.

Allow to cool and put in a container. Use within a couple of months.

Don't feed too many as it gives some dogs the runs as it is very rich, but is crack for dogs.

The way I was taught with my cocker:

2 fingers in collar, gently pull the dog into a down, at first it will resist but don't give in, wait until it drops, then say "down" and release the collar straight away! If the dog gets up say "no" and repeat. With practise the dog will very quickly learn what's expected but I was taught with good reason not to reward the down command. If you do the dog will quickly learn that if it gets up and you give the command again it would get a treat either praise or food...

Combine the command with a hand signal and very quickly your dog will drop to down with hand command only.

My cocker drop to down every time and did so at 12 weeks old, never fails and will stay down even when I walk away not facing her, she is 22 weeks now and just learn the stop whistle.

Hi Chaps have a 7 month old black lab just starting his more serious training how to get him to lie down ,before that always had springers still do they don't take to lieing down , any ideas welcome. cheers rob

Hi Chaps have a 7 month old black lab just starting his more serious training how to get him to lie down ,before that always had springers still do they don't take to lieing down , any ideas welcome. cheers rob

Try contacting this young lady...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYQlEFCIYQU

The way I was taught with my cocker:

2 fingers in collar, gently pull the dog into a down, at first it will resist but don't give in, wait until it drops, then say "down" and release the collar straight away! If the dog gets up say "no" and repeat. With practise the dog will very quickly learn what's expected but I was taught with good reason not to reward the down command. If you do the dog will quickly learn that if it gets up and you give the command again it would get a treat either praise or food...

Combine the command with a hand signal and very quickly your dog will drop to down with hand command only.

My cocker drop to down every time and did so at 12 weeks old, never fails and will stay down even when I walk away not facing her, she is 22 weeks now and just learn the stop whistle.

More commonly known as the twix technique.