Do I need a magnet

Sometimes yes sometimes no. I assume you are shooting where pigeons are feeding in which case any movement in the decoys is a bonus.

When using one you may find that birds veer off abruptly on approach. If this is the case you can bet your house they know something isn't right.

If this happens take the magnet is and use a floater or a flapper.

I've taken over 50 100 bird bags in nearly 45 years pigeon shooting and although I do have a couple of magnets and have one of the original pinewood models I've never to this day taken a ton bag with one. Not for want of trying I might add.

I know a chap who knows Archie Coats wife and she told him that Archie would turn in his grave if he knew pigeon shooters used things like magnets & flappers

That said i still take mine out every time, but dont always use it.

Will garfit used to shoot with archie coats and he uses magnets.

I have one and rarely bother with it, to heavy and not convinced by them.

On its day a magnet will pull pigeons like nothing else .

It will however make shooting them a little more challenging on most occasions as they do not tend to decoy quite as well as when not using one IMO

You need to be confident on taking any bird that is in range rather than just ones floating into the decoys

Do you need one , no , will you shoot more pigeons with one , perhaps yes.

They are not a magic wand though and pigeon do not appear out of thin air when you put one out , it still needs to be in the right place on the right field.

I have a ukshootwarehouse standard one and have been very happy with it .

totally agree with this.would simply add either cradles or wooden kebab sticks so that once have a few real birds you can prop them up properly in the pattern.Magnets add weight,the batteries invariably run out/are'nt charged when want them!!..If it is a field can drive to,will have magnet with me,invariably start without it and only use if pattern is not working well enough....or if flightlines are bit further away than 1st thought!

Will garfit used to shoot with archie coats and he uses magnets.

I have one and rarely bother with it, to heavy and not convinced by them.

I have spoken to will and does use one but again sometimes he brings it in if the birds are not playing ball

I use an AA Decoys turboflapper. I think as long as you have something with a bit of movement to draw attention to your pattern you're good to go. I found a full blown rotary and large battery too bulky and heavy to carry around easily but the turboflapper and tiny battery weigh very little.

I'm with you mate, I've had one for years and used it a dozen times (rotary). I just use the flapper on pigeon and crows, the rotaries obviously work/don't work,

But that is part of the art of pigeon shooting, I've shot 80 odd with 6 shell deecs in the past, reccy reccy reccy and hopefully you will be in the right place at the right time,

Atb

Flynny

The magnet is always in the truck,but I more often than not end up taking it down due to birds flaring off.

I have always positioned it upwind of the pattern,and either to the left or right depending on wind direction.I have noticed on a few videos on here that some are setting them up in the middle of the pattern,and I will be trying this on my next outing.

The only time it worked well nearly all the birds where young,which I put down to their not coming across a magnet before.

Regards

Andy

Edited by THE MEK

• 7 months later...

A lot of sensible advice has already been provided but I would like to add just one point regarding the need for rotors.

If I want to decoy birds into a defined killing area I use two patterns of flappers and statics with a large, completely clear, area between them. If I want a bit more of a challenge I use two rotors only on max revs and shoot pigeons coming by for a look. In anything approaching a wind, the latter provides tremendous sport when using a suitable combination of gun, choke and cartridge. It also has the advantage of working on any crop or roosting wood at any time of the year. If you have a reasonable flight line you can even do it on grass.

Good luck finding out what works best for you.

Edited by Milo