firearms supervisor

hellier0437

Forgot to mention, looks like a certificate of competance will be required before "new" first time shot gun certificates are granted consisting of gun safety and basic handling, this is rumored to be in the pipeline and can only be a good thing.

Does that cert have to be earnt at a local club? For example, say I have been shooting clays from a private trap for a year plus and hit a reasonable amount say 80% but have never been to any local clubs. Would I still have to be a club member in order to mantain my cert and be classed as comoetant, I think all these new rules are a tad stupid, knee jerk reactions to gang problems. How many of these gang shootings involved a 12G Beretta silver pigeon? None, so why should law abiding SGC owners suffer?

Personally I think a competence cert would be a good idea. Not for how many you hit, it would be down to your safety and gun control competence not hitting 25/25 every time. The problem with that will be the clubs - if its law to have this cert done at a club then they'll charge you the earth to get one, chucking in needless tuition fees and mentoring and everything else they can throw at you.... :D:no:

I can see the point of the competenace cert, but as you say it would not be a simple case of join the club and then get the cert done after they have seen you on the clays. It will be £200 worth of garb to get a cert you were perfectly capable of using in the first place. I just dont agree with the whole club before SGC approach, why should people be forced to join a club in order to hold a SGC? If someone has 1000acres+ to shoot on and has been certified safe then why do they NEED to be a club member? Some people only shoot game or pigeon etc why should they HAVE to be a club member? I agree they should practice in order to insure they are a humane shot but forced to be a member, thats not necessary.

There are already competance certificates available at some grounds, its got to be a good thing for safety as long as it is not turned into a money making scam, probably BASC or CPSA coaches would offer the schemes. When I applied for my certificate I did not know if I would get it because of my previous so I did a basic BASC coaching session as well as a shooting lesson at Doveridge and I intended to do the competance thing as an extra bonus but due to work committments I couldnt fit it in. When the FEO came to see me, he did ask me if I had had any tuition recently which I had as well as shooting with an experienced friend.

DSC has already proved that ANY qualifications that start voluntary, if they catch on they will be made mandatory.

The whole point of an FEO is he is judging you are suitable to have a gun. If he thinks you are not then maybe make the course mandatory in that instance. But not accross the board as we are beginning to see happen with DSC.

Forgot to mention, looks like a certificate of competance will be required before "new" first time shot gun certificates are granted consisting of gun safety and basic handling, this is rumored to be in the pipeline and can only be a good thing.

if the basc let this happen it should see the end of them.

i think its a load of old fanny myself. it could be a drive buy your shooting club to try and increase membership.

I'm with you on this Mark. Absolute tosh !. I've never heard anything so stupid and ridiculous in all my life.

We will have to have competence certificate to wipe our ***** next.

If this notion is correct and BASC let it happen then everyone should cancel their membership.

Rant over

Charlie

A friend of mines grandma's uncles brothers daughters lovers cousin told me that ............ :rolleyes:

And we all fall for it :no:

And it starts a witch hunt :rolleyes:

Why not ask BASC ot whatever other shooting organisation you're insured :lol: through :rolleyes:

I can't see any problem with certificates of competence which can be got from BASC at game fairs for a fiver. My concern would be that at club level how do you monitor the competence of them that's approving you (or not).

Dave

(poorly sick and bad with "Man Flu" and in need of TLC)

• 2 weeks later...