A300 Xtrema patterning picture from today

Guest stevo

Well as title suggests , like all my guns I like to pattern them , anyway would like to point that this is of NO real use to anybody . just thought I would share my findings .

the gun is my new A300 Xtrema 3.5" . patterning was done at 40 yrds , using a full choke , ( that's all I use really ) the circle is 30 "

as for shells , I only treid two types

lyavale power pigeon 29 gram of size 6 ( 2 3/4" )

Remington premier magnum 64 gram of size 3 ( 3.5 " ) Buffered shot

I was using the standard HP optima full choke that came with the gun

first up the power pigeon

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/3zcbn077uhfshcn/AAAOn8gPqqPFlChKqxa-ZD6la

next Remington premier magnum

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/xzi3pb8arb18hj1/AADzXHSI_gZj2WP9XvUruJ0Pa

Edited by stevo

Nice dense patterns but both are a little flat a cross the bottom of the pattern.

A blue tit would struggle to get through that pattern.

Figgy

my thinking too , I need to try my usual shell ( 32 grm sipes ) but I ran out haha

After . Just aimed at centre mark and then the 30" circle from the POA

Going to contradict your first post! It's of benefit to everyone.

Looking at the second photo in particular which shows it up superbly well - the pattern is well centered left and right and if you sat the bird on the POA then its mass will be ideally centered in the pattern height-wise - perfect pattern placement. It would be interesting to see what your usual cartridge does.

Just don't ever get rid of that gun! :no:

Going to contradict your first post! It's of benefit to everyone.

Looking at the second photo in particular which shows it up superbly well - the pattern is well centered left and right and if you sat the bird on the POA then its mass will be ideally centered in the pattern height-wise - perfect pattern placement. It would be interesting to see what your usual cartridge does.

Just don't ever get rid of that gun! :no:

To be honest i think the second shot was more pilot error as i was anticipating the recoil of the 2.1/4 oz load and may have pulled it a bit . But as you said . I need to do more testing. As soon as i get hold of my sipes i can have a propper afternoon testing .

probably a daft question but:why would you 'pattern your gun' when the pattern is dictate by the cartridges you use??

each shell will naturally pattern differently so, you would pattern your shells as, using the barrel and the choke as constant, you can have a good understanding of how the load unfolds (i.e. too high/low pressure) but the other way round.....??

Then why trying a very slow (64rg) and a fast (29gr) load?

....sorry, that might make 2 daft questions... :lol:

It was just to see more than any thing if the pattern would hold together at 40 yrds with a relatively light load ( in the case of the pigeon load ) not a lot of good if there massive gaps in it . And in my opinion i would say that 40 yrds was about its limit . But as i say thats my opinion .

In the case of the magnum shell . I have been pondering weather to get an aftermarket. choke . But before i spent my money i wanted to see if i really needed too . Now after seeing how the standard full choke has performed with the magnum shell . I think i will save my money .

also as a byproduct of my tinkering. I know it shoots were i point it .

Edited by stevo

probably a daft question but:why would you 'pattern your gun' when the pattern is dictate by the cartridges you use??

each shell will naturally pattern differently so, you would pattern your shells as, using the barrel and the choke as constant, you can have a good understanding of how the load unfolds (i.e. too high/low pressure) but the other way round.....??

Then why trying a very slow (64rg) and a fast (29gr) load?

....sorry, that might make 2 daft questions... :lol:

For most of my guns I will put them on the pattern plate with whatever cartridge I'm intending to use. Sometimes it is just 1-2 shots to check, sometimes it is more to tweak. This is expecially true for any guns/loads that are pushing the limits in any way. Anything I'm shooting at 40 yards or more I put on the board to check density to make sure I have enough. Nothing about speed or pressure generally. I'm just looking at how much density I am getting at range. For a fixed choke gun it can tell you your 'max' range. For a multichoke gun it will tell you when you need to tighten down (or if tightening down is sufficient).

rick

For most of my guns I will put them on the pattern plate with whatever cartridge I'm intending to use. Sometimes it is just 1-2 shots to check, sometimes it is more to tweak. This is expecially true for any guns/loads that are pushing the limits in any way. Anything I'm shooting at 40 yards or more I put on the board to check density to make sure I have enough. Nothing about speed or pressure generally. I'm just looking at how much density I am getting at range. For a fixed choke gun it can tell you your 'max' range. For a multichoke gun it will tell you when you need to tighten down (or if tightening down is sufficient).

rick

Thats pretty much what i was trying to say .

Black gold 32 g game carts in plaswad are the tightest patterning I've seen. Needed a choke less to pattern near other types.

Eley Grand Prix six shot was the standard cart used years ago.

For working out choke.

Anyone with fixed chokes or people who don't fancy changing chokes on a game day can change carts and gain the extra pellets in pattern they are looking for.

Figgy