Flocks getting bigger and more of them

Suffolk shooter

I've been driving a lot in the last few days and have noticed that the birds are now flocking up big time. There also seems to have been more flocks than usual.

DOwn near the office on Friday coming back from picking the gun up, there was a huge flock 4-500 took off from one field and the durrounding hedges and trees and alighted other the other side of the A12 near Kelvedon. As I drove pass the field I noticed it was a rape field. Before that coming out of colchester along Avenue of Remembarance, I noticed a small flock of 40-50 feeding on the land (For those that know the area) where the circus/funfair normally parks up. I can only assume they were feeding on chickweed or clover.

Out first thing yesterday morning to get some more cartridges and birds were everywhere, in the trees, on the wires, in the hedges and in the fields. Alot flew out of the ivy bushes next to the road as I drove past, so assume these were on ivy berries. Still alot of Holly berries about round our way.

Just stuck my head out for a smoke and saw a flock (100-200 strong) come over the house flying towards the rape fields at the end of the road. (Gonna call the farmer later). Seems to be a large influx of Rooks round our way too. We have always had them in good numbers but yesterday drove past a smallish Grassland Estate with the obligatory large oak trees in the middle and the trees were covered whilst birds were wheeling baout all over the sky.

Does anybody think the sudden increase in flock size could have anything to do with colder weather on it's way? Speaking to a gamekeeper and a farmer some fifty miles apart from each other during the week and both think we're in for a bad spell in March? Certainly the average temp has dropped a couple of degrees and the sy more often that not is filled with heavy clouds and/or rain. But we've had this before xmas and we didn't see flocks like this?!?!

SS :rolleyes:

They tend to flock up this time of year and so, although its still quite mild, it could be a habit thing.

I have also heard suggestions that its a pre mating season equivalent of speed dating. :rolleyes:

The berries are disappearing round here and some of the rape fields are too high for the birds, this is concentrating them on the remaining fields.

same here, large flocks but some good sport to be had...............

they have been flocked up on one on my permissions, and one old lad who shoot the pigeons there has shot anywhere between 40 - and 70, 3 days a week for the last couple of weekends.

Hitting OSR and winter wheat in good numbers.................................... :blink: