Not stealthy enough?

vole

The small property I shoot on is a farm with livestock.I mostly pick off the odd pigeon over flying from one wood to another.I usually hang around a small wooded area but as i approach it i can see rabbits,squirrel ,pigeon and crow making a break for it even from a long distance.The rabbits go back down the railway embankment never to be seen again and most birds dont come back.I am as quiet as possible even tho the field is boggy and am well covered inc hands + face.Any advice please?

Rabbits can hear alot better than they can see so walk very slowly towards them watch them if they have been alerted dont move and dont make a sound stay like that for a min and then walk some more you have to be extremely quiet.

Im not sure if they're colour blind but they cant see the best and there eyes are positioned on the sides of their heads so if you spot one try walk (slowly/quietly) towards it in a very straight line heading right for it until you get into reasonable range and then take the shot have done it numerous times and they havent moved.

Another stradejy is sit and wait find a spot that you know where they are find some cover within range hide yourself and sit there again you cant move or make a sound and they will come out eventually

or my favourite

Bunny bashin out of a 4x4 if they're not used to a jeep you can drive around and get very close to them alot dont mind it at all and just pick them off have often shot 15-20 within the hour just driving around with head poked out the sunroof or gun rested on mirror

Not only that but they are also sensitive to scent and vibration...Approach downwind (wind in your face) so that they cant catch a wiff of you...............dont stomp about...............stalk slowly & deliberately, watch your foot placement, using cover where you can.............Also watch out for where the sun is casting you shadow..........you shdow can be cast over a very long distance and will be spotted.........

All these thing are field craft skills that can give you the edge.....remeber rabbits ect are predated on 24/7 so all these things they are finely tuned into.

.Finally.....a tip for corvid, maggies etc.

As you approach awooded area...they will flee instinctively...................but they are there for a reason, and will wan to get back to what they were doing when the coast is clear.

Birds cant count so if you approach with a friend............................you get covered up and remain motionless.........................you pal will walk away......and you may fnd that the bods com back quicker, thinking that the threat has left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it may sound daft but I try to come into a wood via the back door, from wondering around woods etc when its all spooked i use the time to plan unseen routes into the wood for next weeks trip. The camo kit is of no use if you move - it only works if you are half hidden and silent to start with, I try to plan out movements.

When entering a wood its like thowing a pebble into a pond it takes time to settle down again but with everything so spooked is the wood over shot?

Rabbits are not colour-blind as such but their eyes work in a completely different way to ours. We can see incredible levels of detail and colour but we can't see that far (compared to a corvid or bop). Rabbits can't see the detail we can and their eyes are not as sensitive to longer wavelengths as ours our (which is why red filters on lamps will often work better).

Rabbits eyes are built for spotting movement, they can't focus well but they cover a wide angle of view. If they are looking right at you they probably can't see you, but if you move they will know something is there.

The tip about stopping dead if they alert is bang on. If they move sharply from what they were doing into a rigid head up position with ears open and bolt upright - they have spotted something (sound/smell/sight) and are waiting a few seconds for a repetition.

I have noticed that they seem to want two or more senses to corroborate before they will bolt. If you step on a twig and they "alert" stand still, any movement at all will bolt them. If you stay still long enough for them to come off alert and go back to feeding or playing for a minute then you can make some more progress.

Most people won't wait long enough before starting to move, or fail to spot one has alerted while the rest continue to feed or play. If he bolts he will stamp before he does so and the rest will bolt with him. They are capable of detecting minute vibrations through their back legs and a stamp will send them scurrying for cover.

Well I used the info off pw today.Had been p***ed off cos none of my mole traps had caught so used the stalking advice to get a shot at a squirrel from about 30 yards.Sounds no big deal but its the 1st one i,ve ever shot.Clean kill too.The tree rats where i shoot are jittery *******.Hope it the 1st of many.Chuffed.