Jackdaw x Magpie hybid

kent

Well used to seeing naturally occurring white splashes on crows, blackbirds etc. Yet today a saw what I suspect might be a magpie x Jackdaw hybrid ( In fact there were two in a larger mob) the one a saw most closely was only 10 ft from me and standing still and it had white wing bars just like a magpie and when it flew it had the familiar short broad Magpie wing shape. Other than that it was all Jackdaw including the eye, no long tail or nothing else, there was also a little of the purple/blue black iridescence to the wing but this is very difficult to say that 100% even at 10ft it being light dependant

Anyone know anything further about the possibilities, by the way it was in a public park were the birds are well used to being fed scraps of food and not being shot at hence how close I was

hmmm. if you could find it again a photo would be good. i don't think jackies and magpies can cross breed. they're in the same family, but not the same genus. they're not a close enough relative to be able to mate. leucism does crop up every now and then in all birds and there is no specific colour pattern that leucistic birds demonstrate. sounds like an interesting bird though. i was down on the south coast the other day and found a leucistic curlew. looked like a normal one, only all the colours and spots had run out in the wash

hmmm. if you could find it again a photo would be good. i don't think jackies and magpies can cross breed. they're in the same family, but not the same genus. they're not a close enough relative to be able to mate. leucism does crop up every now and then in all birds and there is no specific colour pattern that leucistic birds demonstrate. sounds like an interesting bird though. i was down on the south coast the other day and found a leucistic curlew. looked like a normal one, only all the colours and spots had run out in the wash

This is the most likely answer.

• 6 years later...

Over the last month to 6 weeks we have had  a jackdaw and magpie visiting our garden,and the same happened last year at this time.they fly in together feed together and fly away together.obviously l don't know if they are a couple but they clearly know each other really well.we call them the odd coupledavid suffolk

• 2 years later...