The "sweet spot"

30-6

My s200 (.22) ranged from about 9.5 ft/lbs to about 11.4 ft/lbs, and the zero point seemed to be all over the place. Naturally this was not acceptable.

I sent the chrono back to the manufacturer to have it checked and re-calibrated if necessary, and was intent on altering the factory settings of the rifle to re-tune it.

However, on spending some time (and educating myself on the workings of PCP's), I found that by filling to 150 bar instead of the recommended 190 bar, I can get 30 shots 11.1 ft/lbs to 11.4 ft/lbs. The re-filling after 30 shots is acceptable to me. Zero at 30 yds also gives a 10 yard zero, with a slight hold under at 20 yds, which suits me fine for rats and squirrels.

I know this sweet spot has been mentioned before, but it will help new PCP users understand their rifles better.

I would imagine every rifles characteristic is different so filling pressure needs to be experimented with.

My s200 (.22) ranged from about 9.5 ft/lbs to about 11.4 ft/lbs, and the zero point seemed to be all over the place. Naturally this was not acceptable.

I sent the chrono back to the manufacturer to have it checked and re-calibrated if necessary, and was intent on altering the factory settings of the rifle to re-tune it.

However, on spending some time (and educating myself on the workings of PCP's), I found that by filling to 150 bar instead of the recommended 190 bar, I can get 30 shots 11.1 ft/lbs to 11.4 ft/lbs. The re-filling after 30 shots is acceptable to me. Zero at 30 yds also gives a 10 yard zero, with a slight hold under at 20 yds, which suits me fine for rats and squirrels.

I know this sweet spot has been mentioned before, but it will help new PCP users understand their rifles better.

I would imagine every rifles characteristic is different so filling pressure needs to be experimented with.

Thanks for that, will bare that in mind if I got a AA PCP, how are you finding the S200?

Naddan28

The s200 is a great little gun. I,ve put the 10 shot on it and would advice anybody who hasn't to do so. I use it mainly for rat and squirrel, but have also had rabbit, pigeon, jackdaw and crow with it.

I get just as much fun out of it as the AA 410 XTRA (FAC).

I don't think you can get an un-regulated rifle regulated later on (if you can it will probably be expensive)

You have to buy the rifle regulated and you are right. The pellets are shot at a much more consistant fps (normally a range of about 10fps over around 30-50 shots as far as I am aware, do correct me if I am wrong anyone!)

• 2 weeks later...
I can only talk about the rifles I have asked Ben Taylor about, but certainly the AirArms s400/410 range can be regulated "aftermarket".

I don't know for sure about the s200, but I assume it can be done, not 100% on that. Have a check on http://www.bentaylorandson.co.uk

Sorry guys,

but according to Ben Taylor the S200 cannot be regulated, it is something to do with the cylinder size being too small

I contacted them a couple of months back and was very disappointed to find out that it could not be done. Oh well, i'll just have to save up for a regulated S410 or S410 TDR to add to the collection!

Karl

Sorry guys,

but according to Ben Taylor the S200 cannot be regulated, it is something to do with the cylinder size being too small

I contacted them a couple of months back and was very disappointed to find out that it could not be done. Oh well, i'll just have to save up for a regulated S410 or S410 TDR to add to the collection!

Karl

Dave Brayford at SCR has regged these though Ben is not entirely wrong in that the room the reg takes up means that the shot count is hardly an improvement. I have a longer tube on my S200 (unregged) and that does 70 shots (in .177) on JSBs or 60 on Mozzies.

ANY unregged gun should have a full charge run over a chrono to find the sweet spot. Once you know the optimum fill pressure for your gun a reg is a waste of money and just something else to go wrong.

yeah but its not as if you only get a couple of shots in the sweet spot? I get around 45 - 50 full power shots. My fill pressure is 180bar and between 180bar and about 120bar I can hit a target at 60yards 9times out of 10?!

50 shots is MORE THAN ENOUGH for a good days hunting!!

good point but us regulted shooters ,know, that evry shot will be almost identical :good::lol:

Every shot from my unregged S200 will be identical too. I don't fill above optimum and don't run it empty. What's the difference?

Also most regs simply can not match a knock open valve for shot to shot consistency. I've had S400s that would run an entire sweet spot charge at a total variation of less than 9fps. I have NEVER seen any regged gun match that.

I spoke to a gunsmith in Hemel a year ago about getting a regulator fitted to my Falcon FN12 and was told it was possible, but not likely to be that much more effective than getting it to the sweet spot in any case. I think they quoted about £100 for the work at the time. If memory serves, they reckoned that I would get about another 4 or so shots out of a fill (about 10%) and drop my variation by about 50% to about 5fps.

It's the same with paintball guns really. The standard valve/hammer system in the average air rifle is going to be pretty good at regulating the air shot to shot, a regulator is just going to be that extra bit more. Ok, for an FT or target PCP, you want your variation trimmed down as low as possible, but for hunting, the situation has got so many more variables in that a 5/10 fps variation may not be that noticeable. Certainly with paintball, as long as you can chrono below 300 fps before and after the game, the accuracy is not an issue. In that scenario, extended high rates of fire with no drop-off _is_.

Wookie

p.s. I never got the work done and don't regret it because my FN12 is for hunting and nothing else.